Logo

rotation change

I have a quick question about this rotation change. If he's buying the motor to replace the one on his boat, if it's a single outboard, wouldn't it be best just to buy a reverse propeller? Seems a lot less pain and expense. I didn't notice his postings stating that he was putting it on a dual outboard setup. Thanx, Spence

It's not as simple as just replacing the prop. The shaft that the prop is attached to must spin in the opposite direction when forward gear is selected. That requires that the gears in the transmission be arranged differently.

If you simply replaced a right rotation prop with a left rotation prop, the prop would continue to be turned to the right in forward gear. This would simply make for a very inefficient drive system in forward.

The posting that I'm referring to stated that he was curious about changing a L/H drive to a R/H drive. If he's not putting it on a multi-outboard boat, than he doesn't really need to go to such drastic measures, does he? If there's only one outboard motor, than it doesn't really matter which way the prop turns, as long as it' matched with the lower unit rotation, driveshaft and such? Just wondering if he isn't trying to do more work and spend more money than needed.

Oh! Yes! I agree with you. I have no idea why someone would want to change the rotation of a single outboard.
Sorry, I misunderstood your question.

The vertical shifter on all Hondas BF135 and up are installed as follows, master spline facing direction on vessel travel on a standard rotation gear case and facing backwards on counter rotating boxes, the upper shift shafts are splined differently to accomodate one or the other. Controls can be dismantled and made to shift for counter or standard rotation leaving throttle operation as is. I have seen a counter rotation box shifter changed to make standard rotation, as mentioned above, the thing failed after 5 hrs operation, it does not work. Buy a left hand prop if you are stuck with a counter rotator or vice versa.

The vertical shifter on all Hondas BF135 and up are installed as follows, master spline facing direction of vessel travel on a standard rotation gear case and facing backwards on counter rotating boxes, the upper shift shafts are splined differently to accommodate one or the other. Controls can be dismantled and made to shift for counter or standard rotation leaving throttle operation as is. I have seen a counter rotation box shifter changed to make standard rotation, as mentioned above, the thing failed after 5 hrs operation, it does not work. Buy a left hand prop if you are stuck with a counter rotator or vice versa.

Thanx. I've always tried to go with the saying, "work smarter, not harder." If you don't HAVE to change the lower unit or gears, than why do it? Cheaper AND easier! Appreciate the response!

Attachments

• BA6339B5-A6CC-435D-A8F0-D45EE466B3D3.jpg
    BA6339B5-A6CC-435D-A8F0-D45EE466B3D3.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 35
I can answer your question. The gearcases differ in the way load bearing bearings and gears are placed in the lower unit. In a standard rotation engine, the bearing and gear at the front of the gearcase (the part opposite of the prop, you know the bullet looking end) always have the forward gear. In a counter rotation gearcase the forward gear is always at the back. You cannot change the shift lever of a standard rotation gearcase to make it counter rotating, it will destroy the gearcase. You would be putting all of the load on the reverse gear and it's bearing, which are not designed for that use. Hondas counter rotation gearcases come apart the same way, unlike other brands of gearcases, however, the difference is in the bearing carrier which is different in the gearcases to handle different types of bearings.

I work at a marine engine and gearcase rebuilder. We supply shops all around the country. We build thousands of gearcases. I am also a certified Honda marine tech. Please do not try to change your standard rotation gearcase into a counter rotating gearcase by switching around cables or shift rods. It will destroy it.
I just repowered with a 225 Honda. Upon water test realized controls were inverted. PID number does not indicate counter rotation. How do I tell if it's counter or they just sold me the wrong controls? Thanks

The model code would decode as counter rotation or the propeller if installed would have the blades backwards to a regular rotation propeller.

Back