Logo

Rookie Oil change procedure query

dkestor

Just learing the ropes. I've got a 91 chevy big block in my 24ft'r that I've owned for a few months and she needs the engine oil changed. Do I need a evacuation pump and resevoir of some type:confused: It appears due to the extremely tight access, the only way to get oil out of the pan is through the dipstick port. Any tips as to how this is done would be appreciated.
Thanks

Get an oil extractor that's sold at most marine supply retailers used to extract through the dipstick. You should also look under the engine or the sides for a hose that is capped off with a brass fitting and is hooked up to the oil pan. Some models have them. If so, you can drain through the hose. Warm the engine first.

I highly recommend the Moeller extractor (if you can find them). I have the 6.5 litre model that works great...a manual pump that drains just about every drop and fits my merc as well as SUV that hauls it. Just make sure the engine is at temp before you start to drain. Takes me about 10 minutes for a complete drain.

Thanks! If anyone else is checking this thread, the small cheap electric pump extractors don't work,a nd don't last. I borrowed a 5 quart good one from my local parts store where I bought oil that took care of it. I've ordered the Harbor Freight hand pump one, as I've heard from others that they do work. I may invest in a nice one as suggested, but with a local guy that's willing to loan a good one, I might invest in something else. Great advice, thanks again.

Back