Logo

Riser Changes Why

bmcon

"I'm up in Minnesota, boat

"I'm up in Minnesota, boat the Mississippi. Owned several Mercruisers,now have my first Crusaders. Reading you posts I can see changing parts after salt use, but up here changing risers maybe after 30 years or something dumb like not pulling drain plugs(!) I asked around and I hear that I have a 50/50 change my frozen risers are ok, but they are 19 years old(?) No one told me to change them any way because of their age."

"My boat has been on the Missi

"My boat has been on the Mississippi River and Tennessee River for 24 years. Never changed a riser and I hope I never do. I would hate to think I had to take them off. If I do, I am going to call on Al Lombardo to help. He has it down pat.

Chuck Hanson"

"Hi Chuck! I too have been boa

"Hi Chuck! I too have been boating the Mississippi sense 1981. I must admit, reading some of these posts, I see people were saying that if you were in salt then replace the risers every 5 years and if in fresh water then double that. Well, I haven't heard of any one up here doing that because of age. I hope Crusaders are better then that. This was the first time I missed drain plugs, but it's also my first Crusaders. Darn!"

"Ayuh,...

I'm over here

"Ayuh,...

I'm over here on the last Sweetwater Sea,....Lake Ontario,...

Marine exhaust systems are replaced Only if it's Frozen, with water in them...

40 Years or longer is No Big Deal around here..."

"Well from a saltwater guy, no

"Well from a saltwater guy, not too much problem with the mainfold by itself. Flush them out now and then and they seem to do OK. Most clogging/corrosion problems are in the risers and elbows. Saltwater eats them up in about 4 or 5 years. But replacement is much cheaper than an overheated blown up engine and a tow!! I've been healed since last change. Are we comparing scars???"

"My view into the realm of coo

"My view into the realm of cooling systems and heads has shown me that poor maintenance ( by others) led to a total breakdown in the entire set of systems characterized by the amazing corrosion within the manifolds and ports. Once the valves were involved, performance went as did numerous point to point connections from there. Look at the valve and chunk of riser iron against the dollar bill

248367.jpg
valve"">
248368.jpg
iron1

"Al, what caused the necking p

"Al, what caused the necking problem with the valve? I haven't experienced that yet.

Chuck"

"Chuck, I believe it was due t

"Chuck, I believe it was due to the long term water intrusion thru the head and manifold caused by internal deterioration of the walls of the manifolds and elbows. I had taken off the mufflers and the rattles within turned out to be iron "gravel sized" pieces that had broken off the corroded interiors. About 2 cups of chips on each side of each engine...I stood there in awe."

radial engine; liberated from

radial engine; liberated from an airplane.

Al's diagnosis is pretty good. add some salt water to a hot exhaust system and watch the corrosion spread on everything that moves.

"I was at an Antique Motorcycl

"I was at an Antique Motorcycle Club show in Davenport, Iowa 15 years ago and there was an 8 cylinder IN LINE 1930's Henderson bike there. The owner had been able to put TWO engines together BLOCK and all with castings, you name it...all together in one assembly. It did look spectacular..BUT this one takes the prize"

"Whoa! I'll bet the aft c

"Whoa! I'll bet the aft cylinders ran a bit hot. As I recall, the last cylinder on the Henderson had a lower compression ratio to keep it from overheating.

Jeff"

Back