Logo

Riser bolts 2003 57L MEFI

oldshore

Contributing Member
"Two of the 4 bolts are access

"Two of the 4 bolts are accessible from the top, one side accessible from the outside. The 4th - not too accessible without removing the exhaust manifold. Is it standard procedure to remove the manifold to replace the risers, or can a socket with a u-joint get in there?"

"You can use a swivel socket o

"You can use a swivel socket on a long extension or a stubby wrench. You can not use a universal with a socket, it won't fit, you need the universal socket, (9/16" shallow)."

"You can use a swivel socket o

"You can use a swivel socket on a long extension or a stubby wrench. You can not use a universal with a socket, it won't fit, you need the universal socket, (9/16" shallow)."

"Be sure to use a 6 point sock

"Be sure to use a 6 point socket--NOT a common 12 point--or you might round the flats off. That, as you can imagine, would be a disaster!

Jeff"

"What a mess of a problem if t

"What a mess of a problem if that nut rounds off!
6 point only.
How many ft/lbs torque on those nuts.
Do you lube the threads at all? If so, what do you use? I know different people have different thoughts on this. The actual stud stretch will be different depending on lube or not."

"I bought a few 6 point OPEN E

"I bought a few 6 point OPEN END wrenches to remove exhaust parts on mine. A socket would no go, so... Great tool. Sears sells them in various sizes.

Jeff"

Six point box wrench (inst

Six point box wrench (instead of the usual 12 point). Didn't know they existed until I spotted one at Sears. Great tool for a marine mechanic to have!

Jeff

PS: Wanna see a photo of one?

"Hey Jeff,
I want to see a ph

"Hey Jeff,
I want to see a photo of the "<font color=""0000ff"">6 point OPEN END wrenches</font>".

Fred 156-M"

"As you requested.

Jeff

"As you requested.

Jeff

PS: Thought I was making it up, huh?

250055.jpg
"

"Right! Got "corrected&#34

"Right! Got "corrected" by a Sears employee (the snotty...) when I said that once.

Yes, it's a combo wrench. THe other end looks "conventional".

Jeff

PS: Though great for getting a stubborn nut/ bolt to turn, these 6 pointers are a dog if you need to wrench it all the way out. Too hard to get the wrench on."

"[b]PS: Though great for getti

"PS: Though great for getting a stubborn nut/ bolt to turn, these 6 pointers are a dog if you need to wrench it all the way out. Too hard to get the wrench on.

When I worked for Xerox, we used to use a small ratchet box wrench made by Robertsons I think. One of the bolts it was used on had very little clearance between the head of the bolt and the metal plate above it. Because of the amount of swing, a regular fixed wrench would not allow enough angle to take it off and put it back on to unscrew it, hence using the ratchet. Unfortunately, every newbie (including myself) would keep swinging the ratchet until it got to the point of no return ie. couldn't get the ratchet off, and because it was a ratchet, it couldn't be screwed back on! At that point, a dissassembly of a number of parts was necesary. Not something a technician did twice."

Back