Logo

right prop size 1978 350

kirk1957

I have 1978 Bayliner cabin cuddy weight is 4000 lbs has a volvo penta 280, and a 350 chevy omc engine.what would be the right size prop for this? Thanks!!

Re: right prop size

The right propeller is the one that will allow your engine to reach its maximum RPM at WOT and will allow the boat to plane easily (even if with the help of trim tabs). It varies from boat to boat and also between boats of the same size depending on how much extra weight you carry onboard and how it is distributed, as well as of the engine power.

You don't even mention your boat's length or engine power, but my guess is that the length is between 20' and 24' and the engine power is around 250 HP. I guess you probably have installed a prop around 15x17" or 15x19". Whichever its size, you may want to test if you can reach the engine maximum RPM at WOT. If yes, the prop is the correct size. If no, you may have to re-pitch it or get another one with lower pitch. And if your engine can go over its maximum RPM, you can always test a prop with higher pitch.

Back