Logo

Rewind spring 1989 30HP johnson

Any tips on how to replace thi

Any tips on how to replace this thing. I pulled the old one out I'm wondering if there are any tricks on installing the new one.The pull cord was hangin up the old spring is shot. thanks ahead Chris

welcome to marineengine!!

i

welcome to marineengine!!

im not familiar with your model but...

DO NOT do this at the kitchen table your wife will not appreciate grease on her curtains..been there done that.

be careful when handling these if they slip out of your hands they can put an eye out....they will explode.

the way i do them is when i take out the old one i see where it is connected so i can get it back correctly...........the i start to wind it up.

after you getit coiled you can hold it with one hand and pull on the end with the other this will shrink the sizae of the coil ....then you soil the extra back and continue this until you get the spring small enough to fit.

hopefully someone will have an easier way.............it seems i do things the hard way a lot of times....but this is how id do all pull start springs..it works for me and ive gotten pretty good at it over the years.

you can get exploded diagrams and complete parts descriptions at shopevinrude.com

"Take off the top nut on start

"Take off the top nut on starter, then the center screw and carefully remove the line disk.(remove rope handle fist)
Remove the old spring remains. Watch out, it gets looong.
Take the new spring, hold it tightly and cut the steel band that holds it together. Let it out in full length.
Put the housing up-side down. It helps if You may fix one of the 'legs' in a vice so it is stable.
Then start coiling the new spring into the housing, be sure it seats all way down.
When finished, have a new rope on the rope disk, and plavce the rope disk into the housing. Be sure to get the pin on the disk into the inner eye of the spring, and remember all nylon washers etc.
Tighten the center screw so no play is there, but not as hard so the line disk sticks. Watch out so the center bushing notches fits into the corresponding in the housing. Then tighten the top counter nut.
Good luck, You might want to use protective goggles and gloves, and keep wife and children away!"

Back