Logo

Reverse RPMs

captaingps65

Hi I would like to know what is the correct RPMs for Full throttle reverse on a 1976 85hp Evinrude Model 85693D

please let me know if anybody has the answer?

The control box is not set up for full throttle reverse.-----No need for that information.------The reason for your question ?

The control box is not set up for full throttle reverse.-----No need for that information.------The reason for your question ?
Thanks The reason I’m asking this is I can only get around 600 RPMs. I spent 17 years in the Coast Guard and not one vessel would not go full throttle reverse! Without reverse you can’t stop your vessel at a decent time. I’ve been trying to adjust the cables but this one just won’t do it maybe there’s another set of controls I need? I’m not sure?
thanks for your reply!!

On an outboard reverse is not used as a brake.-----Doubt you can find many outboards that will go over 2500RPM in reverse.

Play with or modify your throttle linkage. I'm sure you can get a higher rpm in reverse than you have now. Good Luck !!

Outboards are designed to tilt up if they strike an underwater object. They also lock down so they don't tilt up under reverse power. But the lock-down feature is designed to automatically release at a certain pressure (around 700 pounds at the prop shaft) if you do hit something. All this to say, too much reverse thrust will only overcome the tilt lock and it will come up out of the water and you have NO reverse thrust---or steering. But it certainly should hold more than 600 RPM.

Last edited:
Back