Logo

Rev limiter failure,??

fbriggs

Have a 2001 Merc 50 hp. 50ELPTO Sn# ATO 182471.

Just overhauled motor was running on muffs after 5 min or so lost all spark. Checked all stop circuit parts key, emerg switch, wiring all ok. Unplugged main harness at motor to eliminated boat completely from motor. Still nothing on any cylinder. Checked flywheel magnets, stator, trigger, all three coils, all checked out ok. Started unplugging Blk/Yel stop wires one at a time when I unplugged Rev limiter Blk/ Yel from harness spark returned on all three plugs jumping a 7/16" gap. Started right up.
My real question is why do these motors have a Rev limiter when I have always propped my engines to achieve W.O.T rpm. Do I need this limiter or can I leave unplugged as long as my propping sets rpm around 5500??
Also has anyone ever had a rev limiter act this way. I did check all wires out of limiter for grounds to frame came up with nothing . But all I have to do is hook up limiter and back to no spark. With limiter out of picture both key and emerg stop switch shut down eng.
Input would really be appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Fred Briggs

Thanks just what I was thinking, only thing I could even come up with was maybe if I was racing on rough water and motor was coming out of water then I could see it.
Thanks again.

Thanks just what I was thinking, only thing I could even come up with was maybe if I was racing on rough water and motor was coming out of water then I could see it.
Thanks again.
Thanks again.
I Got the same problem ..new harness and volt reg now no spark..that limiter got hot n melted a lil bit..if thsts my problem i can just unplig it and toss it,?

Back