Logo

Restoring a 1950 model TN-25 Johnson outboard

weska99

I have two models that are real similiar! They are Tn-25 and Td-20 they both have good compression and they are in pretty good shape! I got them yesterday from my dad and I know the one hasn't ran in a while and the other he bought last year at an auto show flea market. I figured since I finally got my 78 eska gf 9.9 restored I'd tackle a new project. My Question is that I did alittle spark test to the better of the two (TN 25) and nothing! Then my friend held the spark plugg wires (one in each hand) together and it shocked him real good! LOL Well just wondering if anyone knows where to go from here.... I noticed that the coils, point's and condensors are exactly the same in each model but there was wires missing from the one I want to restore first TN 25! The wires, one on each side goes from the points to what looks like a ground nut untill i took it off and installed the exact wires from the other engine. The nut had insulated washers seperating each wire mount and connected to the bottom plate with a flat head screw. This engine looks to have already been restored and close to being running again! Would those missing wires really have any effect on spark. What should I do next. Thanks

Back