Logo

Researching Old Mercs

jim18611865

Regular Contributor
I need an engine for a 58' Feather Craft Vagabond II.
A neighbor has 2 maybe engines.
One he said he bought new in 1953 (18 HP ) and another he thinks is a 1950 40HP.
I am going over later to get a closer look and get serial numbers.
What websites should I be reading, and are parts generally available?
He has controls for both. They have been sitting for 25+ years and last time I looked at them I wasn't interested, but cosmetically they are in good shape.

www.laingsoutboards.com

www.oldmercs.com

The first 18 horse (hurricane Mark 25) came out in 55 (there was a 16 horse in 53 - the Mark 20).

The Mark 50 (40 horse) came out in 1954.

If neither pan out you could look for an old Evinrude or a Gale (own a 1959, 40 horse twin myself), and they would look "period correct" for that boat (mine was originally mounted on a 1960 Peterborough cedar strip runabout) and I believe that an Evinrude "Lark" was one of the motors that came with them from the dealer.

The 18 horse (or 16) may be a little underpowered on this hull, you should probably lean towards the 40 (or a 35 if you have to look elsewhere).

You need to remember these motors were rated in BHP (brake horsepower) which is only 70-80% of current ratings (SHP = shaft horsepower). So a 1950's 40 is about a 30 by today's standards...

Excellent thanks. I am sure he is fuzzy on the years as he is 80 years old.
He claims they skied behind that 18? 40 no sweat. Boat weighs a little over 300 lbs.

Thanks for those links. Yes, I see a lot of the 35HP Larks on them now on the website.
I did see oldmercs.com had a Mercury service manual for pre 65' motors.
A modern E-Tec at 40HP weighs 240 lbs. I don't think you could even mount that.
I found a 40 HP Evinrude on craigslist 2 hours from here. Looks to be early 60's.
Going to be tough to find a short shaft with controls in usable shape.

Back