Logo

Repowering http://www.marineengine.com/boat-forum/images/smilies/confused.png

I know nothing

Hey guys,

I have just bought a 28 ft. Bayliner with a frozen Mercruiser 302 in it. I have a de-computerized 98 360 Magnum, or a 77 413. I guess the question would be does anybody make an adapter kit to bolt either of these to a Mercruiser 888 (?) because that would seem to be the easiest way to go.

Hey guys,

I have just bought a 28 ft. Bayliner with a frozen Mercruiser 302 in it. I have a de-computerized 98 360 Magnum, or a 77 413. I guess the question would be does anybody make an adapter kit to bolt either of these to a Mercruiser 888 (?) because that would seem to be the easiest way to go.
77 413!?!?!? Sure it's not a 1967? If you want a Chrysler engine you will need to go with a Volvo outdrive.

Unfortunately, unless your Chryslers are pristine enough to warrant finding a new outdrive (Volvo like Tahoerover mentioned) and adapting all of your existing controls, mounts, etc. to the Chryslers, I think this is a case where a replacement Ford is going to be your path of least resistance.

Odds are, you can probably find a decent used Mercruiser 302for what it would cost for the aforementioned aspects of a retrofit. Maybe you could even find a marine salvage place that would take your Chryslers as partial trade toward a used engine.

It looks just like a Magnum engine from the 90's.... 20 yrs ahead of it's time.

Another what if.....

Jack

Did you know Chrysler once offered a 460 cube marine engine? Yup; and it was made by...Ford! Honestly.

Jeff

Killing big blocks was part of there bailout agreement with the government. They still had contracts to supply big block engines to a few boat builders.

IMO, you will not want the Merc 888 behind a 360 in this 28 foot hull. You'll be destine for failure, and in short order.
And no.... Merc does not offer any parts to adapt the 360 to their 888.

If you want a Chrysler engine you will need to go with a Volvo outdrive.
Yes....., Volvo Penta does offer components to allow the Chrysler 360 to adapt to the AQ series drives if you are Hell Bent on using the 360.
This is done with Borg Warner components.
In fact, Chrysler used the AQ drives for several years with the Chrysler name plate on it.

The AQ series drive will hold up to both the 360 and the 28 foot hull.
The AQ series drive will also lend itself to the Duo Prop lower unit if you should want that later on.

The AQ series transom cut-out is larger than the 888, so there are no issues with retro-fitting this drive into a previously installed Merc drive opening.
Make yourself a template, and carefully enlarge the cut out.

I've done many of these!
These are very easy to install.

If you decide to do this and want more info....., start a new thread in the Volvo Penta section.

Last edited:
Back