Logo

repowering an old alpha one 165hp with auto diesel

setiman

Hi I have an old mercruiser 6cyl 165hp that im looking to repower with a diesel
I engine I'm looking at is a 3.2 nissan diesel known as qd32eti 150hp standard.
They are cheap and easily available in this part of the world.
The questions i need answers for are
the engine is electronically controlled is there an easy way to bypass some on the computer sensors to setup as a marine engine?
I realise it would be easier to remove the electronics and go mechanical injection but the mechanical version is 20-30hp less. I expect fuel consumption would no increase greatly with mechanical injection as the engine would be under a fixed load most of the time, but it would be nice to keep the horsepower up.
Any ideas???

why try to bypass the sensors??? why not keep them and add the computer?

I'd expect the hard part is going to be finding an exhaust manifold and then mounting the heat exchanger (assuming you want to add a closed system)...

why try to bypass the sensors??? why not keep them and add the computer?

I'd expect the hard part is going to be finding an exhaust manifold and then mounting the heat exchanger (assuming you want to add a closed system)...

the sensors that will be a problem are the ones that the engine doesn,t directly require like airbag, clutch, ignition transponder, I would really like to keep the origional computer to keep the hp up, but the sensor issue may prove too much for me without some help.

Exhaust shouldn't be too hard to fabricate, I cant watercool the manifold as its a turbo setup so heatproof lagging will have to do
Heat exchanger shouldn't be too much of a problem, I have a couple iv'e stashed away over a few years one of them would be quite suitable.
The charge cooler (intercooler) may cause a couple problems as i'm not really sure what would be suitable for a marine engine, some sort of heat exchanger would do i'm just not sure about size, capacity etc and Im struggling to find anyone who's does similar conversion to give me a heads up!

not sure also if I may need an oil cooler too as a auto engines not have the constant load of a boat, mabe just a bigger sump would do??

any electronic experts out there??
Or someone who's done an auto diesel conversion??

This engine is cheap about $1200us for a second hand one and should be very strong as the are the same block with 2cyls lopped off as the td42 engine as in a nissan patrol/pathfinder from the 90s, If it all works well should be an awesome upgrade

Get a perkins sell the one you have.

See i like to boat not work on boats.

I work on my boat so i can go boating.

Not working on the boat means i have more time for boating.

How do you plan to take the diesel engine rear flange to a Mercruiser A drive?
To my knowledge, there are no Borg Warner components available to do this with this type of drive.

Now if you pulled the Merc out, and replaced it with an AQ series Volvo Penta drive, Borg Warner parts are not only adaptable to the AQ series drive....., but are most likely available for this deisel engine.

Food for thought, perhaps.

How do you plan to take the diesel engine rear flange to a Mercruiser A drive?
To my knowledge, there are no Borg Warner components available to do this with this type of drive.

Now if you pulled the Merc out, and replaced it with an AQ series Volvo Penta drive, Borg Warner parts are not only adaptable to the AQ series drive....., but are most likely available for this deisel engine.

Food for thought, perhaps.
.[/QUOTE
I have a friend that make bellhousings for our nz stockcars, basically he'll make any motor fit any box for $550nz or about $450us and does a very neat tidy job too!

Yes Iv,e seen this clip before and thought the same!
yes fuel consumption is one of the reasons for doing this project but i do have other reasons, currently I have only enough gas to do about a 3 mabey 4 hour burn not enough to get out to the deep water and back safely, and reliability is another the old carburized chevs just not trustworthy, turn the key on a good diesel and it doesn't hesitate just goes.
I would invisage this project should set me back between $4-7k us, hopefully it should prove itself in reliability and price!
If not ive still got 2 spare 165s to slap back in the old girl!

I can't think of any engine made that would be more reliable than the chevy 250 cid six with a carb on it. certainly not an electronic diesel. Relying on software to make something run? Software to diagnose an issue?
The modern car and truck engine is a design that has the tow truck in the equation. The old chevy six was designed in an era where most anything could be fixed on the shoulder.

I would invest the cash in going over the 250 with a fine tooth comb and evaluating each part and renewing it. That's what a rebuild used to be 30 years ago.

Hi,

I am just reading through some posts as i am interested in charge air coolers and any issues that users may have with them during operation. I work for a company called Vestas aircoil who design and manufacture charge air coolers for large diesel engines. I am sure with enough any data/detail you have there will be a solution to your problems. any questions i will do my best to help.

Back