Logo

Repower 1978 Glasply 21 foot VP 170/280 with 2004 4.3/280 from 18 foot Reinell

Good afternoon,

I have a 1978 21 foot Glasply with a Volvo Penta 170/280. The current setup runs good but has over 2300 hours. I may have a chance to buy a low hour 2004 4.3/280. Will this repower (swap entire engine and outdrive) be a major job to do or have done? I assume motor mounts will have to be changed.

Is this something a non-expert can do (I've rebuilt engines and swapped out pre-computer engines/transmissions, am doing a restoration on my HD 1942 WLA motorcycle -old Army bike-, so can do things if not too complex).

The folks on the Glasply forum suggested I run this by you. I appreciate any guidance you can give me.

Thanks,
Mark in Olympia

You will definately have to change engine mounts you want to change from inline 6 to a V-6. would talk to Ricardo he would be able to tell you everything you need to know. 21ft glasply I would look for a good V-8 I believe the V-6 are more prone to engine failure. V-8 with a duo-prop would be a nice upgrade. JMHO

Mark, your boat is currently fitted with an AQ series stern drive. The AQ transom shield is much larger than the later Volvo Penta gimbal system shield.
In order to do what you propose, your structural transom would require a complete infill, followed by a smaller cut out.

The 4.3L engine would be great, and you can stay with the much better AQ system!
You would need a V-8 flywheel cover, an AQ 200B 3" exhaust Y-pipe, exhaust manifolds and 3" outlet elbows and a lower gear unit that will work with the 4.3 .

Ricardo,
Thanks for the response.
Do motor mounts exist for conversion from a VP 170 to a 4.3 if I swap engines or do I have to modify the stringers? Are the parts you mentioned (flywheel cover, exhaust parts, etc.) readily available? Are the 4.3 conversion parts required for the 2004 4.3 production year similar for other production years (in case this particular engine gets sold before I can get it or seller won't sell the engine without the outdrive)?

So many questions.

Thanks
Mark

Motor mount technology is intrinsic to a particular engine type, i.e., inline vs V. Inlines ( if they have them other than @ the bell housing) usually sit on a single transverse "stringer" with a single "mount". "V" engines sit between longitudinal stringers with a mount(or mounts) on each side, plus the usual bell housing/tranny ones.

Last edited:
Hi,
I bought the 4.3 (2nd picture) and am getting a variety of advice on what I need to link it up to the AQ280 outdrive.
Will I need to change the bell housing?
Will I need to change the manifolds and the risers? Or just the risers?
Do the manifolds change though the years for the 4.3 series?

Do you work in a shop that would consider putting this project together at some point in time? My intent is keep the 170 (1st picture)going until she quits. But, I want to get all the required parts now so I don't need to go scurrying around later.

170 and 280.jpg4.3.jpg

78 outdrive:
PIN Number 839437
Serial Number 108484

78 Engine AQ170/280
Serial Number 1942/125786

Repower Engine
VP 4.3GLC
Prod Number 3869213
Serial Number 4012097426

Thanks,
Mark

Ricardo,
I bought the 2004 4.3 and have been getting much guidance on how best to link the engine to the 1978 AQ170. The 1[SUP]st[/SUP] picture is of the 170. The 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] picture is of the “new” engine. I’d appreciate some clarification on what is going to be required to convert the 4.3 to be fresh water cooled and link it up to the AQ280 outdrive. Will I have to replace the manifolds or just the risers? Will I need to replace the bell housing? I guess, in a nutshell, is this a common enough repower procedure that there is written guidance available? The 170 still runs good so there’s no big rush to get this all put together – however, I’d like to get all the parts and pieces gathered before they are needed.
The specific engine and outdrive identification is:
1978 outdrive:
PIN Number 839437
Serial Number 108484
1978 Engine AQ170/280
Serial Number 1942/125786

2004 Engine VP 4.3GLC
Prod Number 3869213
Serial Number 4012097426
Thanks,
Mark
170 and 280.jpg4.3.jpg