Logo

Replacing U joints on my 290 yikes

robj

Regular Contributor
"Hello,

While I have done l

"Hello,

While I have done lots of engine work, I have always tried to stay away from any gear box work. Well my U joints need changing on my 290, and I don't know anyone reliable who could do them for me at a reasonable cost. That is my first choice. I rather not take it to a shop since their hourly rate of $100 plus is too pricey for my budget. My last option is to do them myself. I have read the Seloc manual many times on how to do the job, but it is somewhat lacking in the details. I have no problem removing the upper gearbox and that is where my comfort level ends. How difficult is it to get the shaft out? I know they cannot be removed as it sits since there is not enough room to remove the caps. Also what else should I be doing while I have the upper out? Replace the seals on both the drive shaft and the shifter?

Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated. Or if you know a good VP mechanic with reasonable rates in the Vancouver area, that would also be appreciated.

Thanx and have a great day

Rob."

Anybody have any suggestions? Or tips? Plan on doing it during the Easter weekend.

Thanx and have a great day

Rob.

Rob, If up for the task, one of us can walk you through this. Depending on what you are calling a 290, it can be very simple... some do not require re-shimming and/or re-setting of rolling torque when removing the bearing box and shaft! Again, depending on which drive you have.
If an early 290, the clamping collar bolts are considered a wet area thead......, I'd want to explain a few steps to you so you can avoid some hassles.
Maybe you can post a few images or a serial number.

FYI, I provide this service on the AQ series drives ..... and I am right below you in Oregon.

OK, this transmission uses an integral aluminum front collar/bearing box.... of which solves the corroded bolt thread issue for the most part....... but this transmission will use a crush sleeve for controlling the rolling torque value of the back-to-back main drive gear bearings.
So this part is a bit more techincal!
Are you comfortable with, or do you have any hypoid gear set-up experience?

So this part is a bit more techincal!
Are you comfortable with, or do you have any hypoid gear set-up experience?

NO, none at all. Which is why I am trying to avoid doing this job. One wrong preload and might as well start over, but it will be a lot more expensive.

Sent you a message earlier.

Thanx again and have a great day

Rob.

Back