Logo

Replacing oil line from oil pump to engine with a clear line

OldFish78

Anyone have any info on replacing the black oil line from the oil pump to the engine on an oil injection system. I read somewhere that by doing this allows for checking the oil flow from the pump. Makes sense to me when or if you get an oil alarm - you have a means to see if oil is actually leaving the oil pump to the engine. Then you would know its probably the alarm system and not the pump itself. All thoughts and info appreciated.

What motor ?---HP and serial # needed.-----Some alarms are for low oil level in the tank.-----Most motors do not alarm if oil pump fails.-----Best to have your local shop do an ---" oil output test " on your motor.

Motor 1990 Mercury 175 carb 16 amp stator ser# 0C290882 - motor has no problem nice blue smoke on start - no oil alarm problems was just thinking of possible future problems and easy check to make sure oil was coming from pump

I believe those use a plastic type gear to drive the oil pump.-----There have been failures of this gear.----Any wires coming of the oil pump ?-----How often do you replace water pump impeller ?

No wires - the alarm system has a rotational sensor placed right behind the oil pump and is the basis for the alarm system. You are correct as to the plastic gear which goes to the crank shaft - if the system fails plan to remove it vice repair - and mix manually. Change the impeller annually. Changed it right after I got the boat - will change it this fall.

Back