Logo

Replacing green oil light BF8

Hello!

Well after my green light died on my 2004 Bf8 last time on the sailboat I verified the sensor with a multimeter and it works well.

Is there anyway to check if the light is faulty or it's the wiring? I measured the voltage at the wires but I guess it's AC so not really sure what kind of voltage to expect.

If I measure the light using the Ohm's function it is dead.

Since I don't like waisting money and in a way being more ecological I'd like to repair the light myself (Like I did with several rectifiers before). Does anyone have the specs for this particular light so I can order the specific led and make it functioning again?

Much appreciated!

Your indicator light is tested by connecting 12v, pos to orange wire and neg to the black wire, hope this helps. The light is fed DC voltage from the CDI unit when the oil pressure switch is activated. So when the eng is running you should be getting a min of 10V across the orange and black wires to the light.Hope this helps.

Ok, thanks I will check the voltage again.

So does the CDI unit itself has a regulater inside as well? Because the voltage goes AC into the CDI unit.

Ok, so today I returned to the motor to measure the voltages. I soldered an ordinary 4W lightbulb to replace the green light but that didn't function.

Checking the voltages I get strange results. The yellow wire going to the sensor has a nice 10 - 12 DC. But the orange one from the cdi unit gives a 200V DC!!! But unmeasurable mA's...... sigh......

I cleaned the contacts on the cdi unit itself and the wires are in good shape....

I'm kind of lost now how to repare the green light since I don't get a nice 12V out of the orange wire......

Help please!!!!!

Ps, the only good thing is that I was able to test the oil pressure sensor. If I ground the yellow wire the motor goes in to the emergency mode . So even without the green light the oil pressure sensor will protect the motor.

Back