Logo

Replacing Electric Fuel Pump on a 1997 454 XL

artswarlock

Just wondering if anyone had any tricks for replacing the fuel pump on a 1997 380 Carver. They appear to be bolted to the front motor mount. I have a manual in the mail but don't know how much it will tell. Thanks

should be bolted to the bracket with the fuel filter, not the motor mount plate.

The usual trick is figuring out how to get to the thing...getting an extra set of hands to help once you are in position should suffice.

Thanks for the reply but I may have a mismatch installation. The serial # is 100097 when I look it up the fuel system looks different. Mine looks more like a 496 with a racor bronze color fuel water seperator and a black hockey puck looking fuel screen. And the pump is definately below the motor mount. The boat is new to me, I wonder if some components may have been replaced. I still don't have the manual USPS has decided the most cost effective way to ship it is from Illinios to Iowa to Georgia to St. Louis.

OK I got out to the boat cleaned both filterr screens, replaced both filters, cleaned the fuel water seperators, Port engine had something like peanut butter in it. Plugs wires, caps and rotors.

Sorry for 2 threads but I have spark but no fuel. I hooked up a fuel pressure guage and port is reading 14 psi and starboard is reading 20 no fuel coming from injectors. I am thinking both pumps are weak, both bleed down to zero after cranking is stopped, am I moving in the right direction ?

If both engines are fed from a single (common) fuel tank, you may have a contamination issue. I'd be inclined to get an outboard fuel tank and use it as a troubleshooting substitute for the on-board tank. Not positive but think you should see over 30 PSI in the high pressure side of the fuel rail. Based on your description, I'd guess this is a TBI configuration?

Each engine has it's own tank and not a drip out of all 4 injectors on both engines. I got the TBI manual in the the mail tonight, it calls for 16 to 20 PSI.Had a mercruiser friend over with his scanner and they are not the same. Checked connectors at ECM, grounds and a few other connectors all look good. I am leaning toward an electrical problem with the ECM so I may have to wait till Monday and have a crusader tech out with the scan tool and parts. It's just odd that both engines are doing the same thing, but both could be bad. I may go out to the harbor tomorrow with my new book and read and stare at it Real Hard!! Thanks

Dirty and corroded injectors. Pulled them out they look clean but new ones work. I priced new and they are $239 each. I am going to try a company tomorrow that may be able to clean and test or order them.

I have taken my dirty injectors to folks that had the right equipment, had them cleaned and tested, and then put them pack in with much money saved. They have to clean them, then test them, and then may disqualify them anyhow. You need folks that are spe******ts with gas injectors. I mailed mine to Boston Injector (in Rhode Island) but there is probably someone near you.

Bruce Clarkson

Bruce is right - the rebuild what you have approach is the most economical and the price will be significantly less for rebuilding all four compared to buying a "new" one for the price you posted. BTW, there's not too much that is 'marine' when it comes to those injectors.

Thanks for the help, I called the diesel injection shop who referred me to a shop that does gas injection, he is going to clean and check to make sure everything is OK. I tried having an auto parts shop cross reference the model # and no luck. If I can get the shop to give me a report which I know they will do I will post the results so others may be able to get something close. I went to NAPA auto parts and just had them find 2 that were physically the same as mine, they were for a small block. I put them in, this boat has been sitting for over a year and third crank it started. I am sureit wasn't enough gas so I didn't let it run for more than 15 seconds. I will let you know the results when I get it back, tomorrow or the next day.

No luck in finding a replacement, and Marysville distributors has closed for the holidays till January 3. I would not be afraid of using an injector with a flow rate close to what I have but the impedence of the coil, if not correct can damage the ECM. And those are $1300. Merry Christmas!!

Got 2 sets of GM TBI injectors for an 88 1 ton pickup Checked the coil resistance and they are the same. Installed and they seem to work fine. I will be taking it out tomorrow.

glad you found a set. if they work well tomorrow, it would be great to post some part numbers for those that read this thread in the future.

Will do I have what I believe is a leaking gasket on a Walter V-drive letting water in the oil. The injectors start and idle fine but I wanted to run it to make sure.

OK I wanted to run the boat and make sure it didn't just idle well. It seemed to run a bit fat, leaving a sheen on the water and smoking a bit on startup. But the boat has been sitting for over a year, about 60 degree day 38 degree water temp took about a 2 hour cruise to another harbor. The boat runs perfect idles perfectly I didn't hit WOT because of a steering issue, but I know these will no doubt work as well as the originals. I got the injectors for $85 each compared to $239 for Crusaders. I checked the resistance and compared to the originals and they were the same. The NAPA Autoparts number is #2-18058

Glad you are motoring again....also for posting the part number info - that's what makes this board so valuable for the rest of us.

Back