Logo

Replacing a starter and altenator

A marine altenator is a slightly different constuction, theuy have screens where sparks may escape and this shorts them to the case (ground).
Also may have a completely different connection configuration.

Starters are the same electro/mechanically as an automotive BUT there is some special treatment given to MARINE starters to eliminate sparks (spark arresting).

No allowed to spec out the difference between a auto starter and a marine starter here.............lol

A marine altenator is a slightly different constuction, theuy have screens where sparks may escape and this shorts them to the case (ground).
Also may have a completely different connection configuration.

Starters are the same electro/mechanically as an automotive BUT there is some special treatment given to MARINE starters to eliminate sparks (spark arresting).

No allowed to spec out the difference between a auto starter and a marine starter here.............lol
I too have a story that I could share with you regarding this concern....., but am not willing to offer this on a public boating forum.

Lets clarify the requirement a bit.

The guys are correct if this marine engine is enclosed..... such as a cabin cruiser, etc. with an engine bay, cover/hatch, etc.
My guess would be that you're asking concerning an enclosed engine.

If these were to be used in what some call "Rocker Boats" (whereby the engine has no enclosure), I don't think that the marine version is a USCG requirement. It may be now days.... I don't know for sure!

IMO, best to used the approved equipment.

When i was in the business I experienced a boat blow up right at the end of our gas docks.........I pulled the owner/operator out of the water, melted vinyl bimini top covering/stuck to him.....while waiting for the local EMS to arrive.....Actually made him stay in the water but in shallow enough so he did not drown.

It was not pretty, could not contain the boat and had to watch it burn down to the water.......fortunatly the wind pushed it away from the dock.

Boat was not well maintained and only enough to keep it running was done with no regards to safety or regulations........

put in 60 gallons of gas directly into the bildge........gas hose was rotted. Who knows what else was wrong before this occurred but it is no longer an issue that could cause anyone else any problems.

I too have a story that I could share with you regarding this concern....., but am not willing to offer this on a public boating forum.

Lets clarify the requirement a bit.

The guys are correct if this marine engine is enclosed..... such as a cabin cruiser, etc. with an engine bay, cover/hatch, etc.
My guess would be that you're asking concerning an enclosed engine.

If these were to be used in what some call "Rocker Boats" (whereby the engine has no enclosure), I don't think that the marine version is a USCG requirement. It may be now days.... I don't know for sure!

IMO, best to used the approved equipment.

Ayuh,.... Gasoline fumes are heavier than air,...
It really don't matter is there's a motor box or not...
All boats have Bilges....

Back