Logo

Replacement shutter not shutting

ants

"Hi all,

Fitted a new shutt

"Hi all,

Fitted a new shutter in outdrive exhaust pipe on a late 70's merc 3.0l, but its flaps dont fully close! See pic here: http://www.anthonybradley.plus.com/IMG_3463.JPG . Its a new original Mercruiser part (45586), and seems to be the correct size in every other respect but the metal brackets that it hangs on prevents the flaps from coming all the way back up unless pressed firmly from the other side.

I presume this isnt normal and that they should be closed in their at rest position? The only way I can think to fix this is to englarge the rectagular hole in the bracket downwards, so that the bar can sit lower allowing the flaps to come up a bit futher, but it seems wrong that I should have to do this (either that take a knife to the rubber but then it might noe be that watertight to prevent backflow).

Anyone seen this before, or got any other suggestions?

Thanks Anthony"

"I believe that's the way

"I believe that's the way it's supposed to be. It's designed to let water out very easily, and when water is backwashed up your exhaust system it closes very tight. If it fit perfectly inside your exhaust pipe it would flap both ways and not do its job."

"I can see that its not suppos

"I can see that its not suppose to be flat, and the flaps are elongated and shaped so that they are still sloping downwards when fully closed / sealed against the sides. But given that they are shaped to fit neatly at and angle when fully closed it does seem odd that they remain half open.

I did try firing water from a hose up the pipe and it quite happily ran up the gap in the side, it would have to be a very large rush of water to have suffiecent presense to close the flaps.

Anthony"

I noticed the same thing when

I noticed the same thing when I replaced the shutter on my old 3.0 (1970)... sure doesn't close like the OMC stringer flappers.(stringer ones are seriously sealed with a torsion spring)....but I think what's in the pic is normal

"Anthony
That can't be ri

"Anthony
That can't be right.
Those flappers are supposed to close tight to the sides of the pipe.
I have not worked with a flapper that had those light colored metal brackets, but I think you ought to file them or somehow modify them so that the flappers close properly.
The way it is now won't stop squat in the way of a backwash of water, and your engine could easily flood.
Just my opinion.
Rod"

Back