Logo

Replacement Engine

tcmers

"I've got a Volvo Penta 5.

"I've got a Volvo Penta 5.7 (Pre 1980 GM block) with a cracked block. The manifolds, carb, etc are all good. I can buy a rebuilt marine short block locally for around $450. It is the block bored .060 over, new pistons, cam bearings and refurbished crank and rods. I've got a newly refurbished set of heads. By using my good parts, buying a gasket set, new bolts, lifters and maybe a new cam, I'm guessing about $800-$900 total. Am I missing anything? Tested long blocks from reputable sources seem to be in the $1800 and up range. I'm thinking a short block and a little elbow grease will save a lot of money, but I want to do what is best. It's been a long time since I've completely assembled an engine, but I've got all winter to get it done. What do you think? What other parts might I need to buy that I haven't listed? Thanks!"

"That's the right track. I

"That's the right track. If you have the knowledge to build it........ do it!!!! Sounds like a great deal to me! The top end of the engine is the "marine" part. If it's good, do it!!!!"

"Be sure to get your heads pre

"Be sure to get your heads pressure tested. Hell, if the block cracked....

Jeff"

The heads are replacements. T

The heads are replacements. They were magnafluxed and rebuilt last fall and haven't been used. Thanks for the input!

Back