Logo

Repair faulty OMC fuel clips or better clips available?

ba_50

Regular Contributor
I'm tired of the junky clips that attach to the motor and gas tank. They either get loose or leak. I've bent the end of the levers for a tighter fit, but they sit on there at an angle. For what they cost they should be better, and it is getting old throwing them away.

I've heard the O-rings are replaceable but never tried it. Anyone know what size o-rings they are, or have a solution? Thanks.

O-rings are easy to replace and all dealers will have them in stock , I hope.--------------Sharp edges on the fittings will damage the o-ring.

The "O" Rings are available at any Evinrude or Johnson dealership and probably at many other marine type stores. The "O" Rings are part number 334913 and come in a 5pk... price about $1.50 for the pack.

If your "O" Rings keep getting cut and leaking, there's something wrong with the fitting it plugs into... sharp edge, something.

The looseness you complain about has nothing to do with the sealing quality. As long as the "O" Ring is okay and it is slid on the male fitting, the fuel seal is okay. The snap lock is just to keep it from backing off.

Yep... What haffiman said. That had completely slipped my mind. Done that myself a couple times.

Installing those O Rings within the plastic fittings...... You'll find that by having the fitting slightly gripped in a vice and pushing the brass plunger of the fitting down with some object, then carefully tightening the vice slightly more just so the plunger stays down, you can then easily remove and install the O Ring. A slight bit of lubricant helps at times.

Joe,

I too have tried to put them on backwards. The instructions should help changing them out. One ball is rusty from the salt water so I doubt if a ring will help on that one.

If you learn how to fix these you could have a couple of O-rings in the tackle box and repair a leak out on the water.---Will save the day and maybe a bit of muttering !

In addition to Racerone's usual on target advice.... I would add to throw a pair of vice grips in your tool box to use in place of a vice BUT use it gently.

I ordered O-rings and welch plugs to repair metal OMC fuel tanks.---------Dealer said " why are you ordering those parts "----------" To help the people who own these tanks and prevent a fire hazard " I said.------------His reply------" I just tell people to buy a new plastic tank "-------Changing attitudes for sure.

K,

The only metal tank I have left is an old OMC pressure tank. I wish I hadn't thrown those clips away now. Hopefully I can recover them when I get back home. It is definitely more fun fishing than having motor trouble.

Back