Logo

Removing tilt/trim assembly

brettmarl

Regular Contributor
Trying to get tilt trim assembly out of the bracket as seems easier to service on the bench (loosened caps while on bracket) but want to take the pump off and change the mount orings.

The lower pin is removed but it seems held in there by some internal washers. Manual suggests the brackets would have to be removed which would mean hoisting the engine.

It won’t tilt down due to motor - so I removed that and now it’s binding on the pump housing. I think I have access to remove it from here but it seems more of a PITA than it should be and wondering if I’m missing something simple.

4F1ACB7A-C6B6-4736-9A12-D7B440F6F2DB.jpeg

Hanging up on the bushings? items 9 in the link

I've never done a big 'un like yours so this may not apply here but in case it will...

On the smaller outboards I always found that it was necessary to loosen the port bracket and remove it or maybe slide it out of the way.

If you can tilt the motor up far enough it will sort of balance over the transom with the power head and extension case countering each other.
Run a line across the power head and lash it down in that balanced position. Tie off to the trailer frame if necessary.

The smaller outboards will be held by the other bracket no problem but on the 225 it's a bunch more weight that you're dealing with so you may need to try another technique.

Good luck.

Since you have a metal transom you can unbolt one side of tilt bracket instead of hoisting the whole engine off the boat. Loosen big 32MM tilt shaft nuts on both sides, and use dead blow to hammer one side tilt bracket to spread open. It might chaff the transom but it won't crack or chip like a fiberglass transom would. If hammering doesn't work to spread you could use half inch threaded bolts and a coupling nut to act as mechanical spreader. Spray blaster on tilt nuts and tilt tube shaft lots of salt holding it keeping it from spreading.

I suspect all this 5200 will stop it from moving and be a nightmare to deal with. Gonna try doing it all on the bracket and fall back to removing as last resort.

6AA58205-D71D-4112-B893-0C3A862BA1A9.jpeg

Yeah - I could access the motor, pump and tank for removal fine without taking off bracket. But was hoping to pull the hole assembly out (to do that all on the bench) which doesn’t seem possible.

Back