Logo

Removing the carburator filler plug on a 1973 Evinrude 9.5 hp

I'm rebuilding the carburetor on my 73 Evinrude 9.5 HP and needed to remove the filler plug behind the metal cover that allows access to the 3 idle port holes in the carburetor. Looking through the old posts here I came across a thred that this was being discussed and a guy was having the same problem I was. He ended up destroying the plug during the removal process and I thought there had to be a way to get the filler plug out so I could be reused. I found that if you take a course hook and thread it in to the plug you can remove it by using grabing the threads with some side cutters and using the carb body as a fulcrum it pops right out. I want to add pictures of the process but havent figured out how to do that yet

Here's a picture of the threaded hook I used

Attachments

• 20240428_132339-2.jpg
    20240428_132339-2.jpg
    516.3 KB · Views: 7
Yes good work. I have more than once found crap in this chamber. It can mess you up for sure. Sometimes the motor will hickup, or lean cough....no matter what you do. I've blown and cleaned, but that chamber cannot be overlooked. The crap will stay in there unless its opened up.

Back