Logo

Removing control cables

ali'i

Boat came with a 1981, Johnson 70hp, but want to re-power with something smaller, and also do work on transom, so it must come off,but haven't decide whether I will sell motor with/without controls, I might need them for the new motor, (used, but new to me), but either way, they need to be disconnected to remove motor, but whats the best way? because the shifter control box won't fit thru the hole the cables go thru, so should I disconnect cables at the motor, or at the control box and pull 16ft of cable thru and sell with the motor, I don't want to screw anything up. I have looked online for a step by step video, but can't find any, I'm sooo confused, Thanks

It's much easier to disconnect everything from the motor. Throttle and shift cables have a quick disconnect system and the wiring harness will just unplug.

It's much easier to disconnect everything from the motor. Throttle and shift cables have a quick disconnect system and the wiring harness will just unplug.

Hmmm, didn't really look like a "quick disconnect" for the cable, but will look again when I get home, but forgot to mention in the post, the 2 cables go thru a big rubber grommet (about 1"x2"on the motor that has 2 holes only the size of the cables, not the size of whats all on the end of the cable, brass casing, threaded ends and especially the adjusting wheels which is about the size of a nickel, if not a quarter, so if I sell without controls, since the cables run thru it, is this grommet usually left out and retained by be, meaning new owner would have to replace, never done this before, so not sure. Thanks

This job is easy.----The big rubber thingy is split so that cables just slide out when you lift it out of the lower cover.----You are likely going to ask about the shift cable and you may have to pull a pin out to swing that arm away so that the cable falls off.

Back