Logo

Removing a 470 from boat

tobra100

I'm stripping down a 470 a

I'm stripping down a 470 as i'm pulling it out. Im down to the front mount and the bell housing bolts. My questions are #1- Do I have to pull the outdrive before unbolting the motor? #2 How many bolts will there be on the bell housing?

"#1- Do I have to pull the

"#1- Do I have to pull the outdrive before unbolting the motor?" yes

"#2 How many bolts will there be on the bell housing?" 6 nuts hold the OD in place

"#1 Do you have enough room, l

"#1 Do you have enough room, lift a little (about 1 inch) then slide forward about 4-6 inches then lift about 2 inches and slide a little more about 2-3 inches? If so then you dont need to take the drive off.. I've done a few times on a few boats under 25'

#2 2 Bolts hold the bell housing onto the transom plate 3/4" socket, there should be a spring and a leather type washer underneath."

"Exactly what are you calling

"Exactly what are you calling the bell housing.If you mean flywheel housing ,that comes out with the motor,. Remove the (2) 3/4 bolts in the rear housing, the front lags and pull straight up and out"

"[IMG][url=""]http://i123.phot

"
url]
"

"On the 120 hp that I bought,

"On the 120 hp that I bought, it has the gear shift cables mounted on the transom plate ,behind the motor. Can I replace that and leave the outer part alone on the out side of the transom...Can you advise me on how I get the plate off...Thanks Ray"

"theres 3 bolts that take the

"theres 3 bolts that take the shift cable plate from the transom plate, and yes if you want the transom plate theres 6 bolts for that, the bottom 2 might be a little tough, they have locking nuts on them.

you can see a couple pics of my transom and parts here.. http://gallery.kainonmedia.com just removed last friday."

"Brian, the shift cables on th

"Brian, the shift cables on the current 470 that I'm replacing are on top of the motor. The 120 that I bought is still attached to the rotted transom, and the older model shift cables are attached to that transom plate. I thihk that I have to replace the inside transom plate, but I didnt want to break the seal on the outside. I hope that this makes sense. is that possible?"

"The junk 470 that i'm tak

"The junk 470 that i'm taking out of the boat has the gear shift cables attached on top of the motor.
The 120 that I just bought is still coupled together on a piece of the old rotted transom. What Im asking is, Can I leave everything attached to the outside of my transom, and just take off the inner transom plate from the 120 and bolt that on, so ill be able to mount the cables in the back. In other words, can I mount the 120 hp inner transom plate to my exhisting outer transom plate? Will everything line up. and how many nuts or bolts hold the inner transom plate on? Thanks Ray"

"yes, you can remove the trans

"yes, you can remove the transom plate easily with out removing the outer, mine after 35 years came right off.. I broke 1 bolt the thru bolt on the bottom, easily replaced, I was worried. All others came off easily."

"i think i mentioned before, 6

"i think i mentioned before, 6 bolts on the inner peice, the bottom 2 you'll want a 1/2" drive or impact wrench, elec or air."

"Thanks alot. Ive got the 470

"Thanks alot. Ive got the 470 completly torn down to the block. I should be pilliong the block today. If you dont mind, I'll contact you if I happen to run into any snags.. I cant believe how clean the inside of that 470 was (no sludge) I still was unable to find the cause of the steam thru the breather tube. #4 cyl was a little fouled. A visual on the cyl head looked ok. Ray"

"BT DOCTUR, how can I get on t

"BT DOCTUR, how can I get on that site that you got your pics from i think it was photobucket but I couldnt find it....Thanks Ray"

Back