Logo

Removing 1989 70hp Evinrude flywheel

BradleyBill

Does anyone have any tips for removing the flywheel off an '89 Evinrude 70hp? Does anyone know the bolts hole size for the 3 bolts in the top of the flywheel? I believe they are 5/16-18 but want to make sure.

They are 5/16" -NF not coarse.------You need a good sturdy puller.-----Tighten the center bolt very tight.----Then a good bump on the center bolt will pop it off.-----Why are you removing the flywheel ?

I have a no spark. It appears the stator is bad. No spark and the boat is sitting on the boat lift. We tried the bolts that came with the Balancer Puller from Autozone but I think the bolts were 5/16-18 and the threads on the bolts sheared off. I wanted to get some grade 8 shoulder bolts but wanted to confirm the thread size.

In case anyone else is having the same issue removing their flywheel. I was able to clean out the holes in the flywheel with a 5/16-24 tap. Found the correct bolts at ACE Hardware in grade 8. Put some tension on the flywheel puller with an impact wrench and 3 hits of rubber mallet on the flywheel and it came loose. Thanks for letting me know what size the threaded holes are!

Back