Logo

Removal of throttle cable - 1987 25HP Mercury

rmcderm313

Regular Contributor
Hi All,

I need to remove the throttle cable from a 1987 25HP Mercury. Can anyone tell me the best way to do it? The metal fitting has squared edges so I can grab and turn it with an adjustable wrench, but the cable won't turn since it is still connected to console. I don't want to force it and screw something up.

Here are some pictures of the connection:

photo 1 (2).JPGphoto 2 (2).JPG

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Rob

Well I've been able to do everything else, but I still can't figure out how to remove this cable from the engine. I'm including some more pictures. Does anyone know the right place to disconnect this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,Rob

photo 3.JPGphoto 2 (4).JPGphoto 1 (4).JPG

OK I figured it out, At the very end of the cable there is a metal sleeve that slides back and forth about a quarter inch, When it is slid towards the front of the motor it releases the stud on the throttle arm, allowing the cable arm assembly to slide off of the stud. See pictures. The two cables come off in opposite directions left/right..

photo 3 (1).JPGphoto 2 (5).JPGphoto 1 (5).JPG

Rob - while this post is from 4 years ago, it came in super handy. Sorry no one was able to help you on this, but your continued troubleshooting helped me out immensely. I couldn't find anything out there to help me figure out how to pull off the control cables, so a big THANK YOU for posting this. I just joined now because of this and hope that I can add to conversations and help fellow boaters like myself. Thanks again for this! - Scrib

Hi All,

I need to remove the throttle cable from a 1987 25HP Mercury. Can anyone tell me the best way to do it? The metal fitting has squared edges so I can grab and turn it with an adjustable wrench, but the cable won't turn since it is still connected to console. I don't want to force it and screw something up.

Here are some pictures of the connection:

View attachment 7913View attachment 7914

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Rob

Hey I have this exact same motor and am looking to set it up to remote throttle...do you by chance have the part number for the piece that anchors the throttle cables to the engine? I am having a hell of a time finding it online/

Hey I have this exact same motor and am looking to set it up to remote throttle...do you by chance have the part number for the piece that anchors the throttle cables to the engine? I am having a hell of a time finding it online/

Are you referring to this one?

http://www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_details.php?pnum=MER42846A+2

Right here on MarineEngine.com (which sponsors my favorite YouTube channel Danger Marine by the way, keep that up marinenegine.com).

Let me know if this is the part you're referring to. This motor is awesome, super reliable.

Good luck..
Rob

Are you referring to this one?

http://www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_details.php?pnum=MER42846A+2

Right here on MarineEngine.com (which sponsors my favorite YouTube channel Danger Marine by the way, keep that up marinenegine.com).

Let me know if this is the part you're referring to. This motor is awesome, super reliable.

Good luck..
Rob
Yeah I guess I didnt realize that was what that was. I dont have the merc cables yet and was confused how it attaches. Hoping it will be self explanatory

Yeah I guess I didnt realize that was what that was. I dont have the merc cables yet and was confused how it attaches. Hoping it will be self explanatory

When you get your parts, if you have any questions just ask. It's pretty straightforward but I can help if you need it.

Mine was remote when I bought it, but I'm assuming with the right parts it is straightforward.

Rob

If you have a tiller motor all the throttle parts will need to be changed for the remote cables..

When you get your parts, if you have any questions just ask. It's pretty straightforward but I can help if you need it.

Mine was remote when I bought it, but I'm assuming with the right parts it is straightforward.

Rob

Excellent man thanks. Yeah I bought an old 16 foot smokercraft from a gentleman and he and I got talkin, he ended up giving me his 85 18xd so im like SWEET free motor, kinda trickin it out currently hahah. Put a 25hp carb on it to get more juice, converting to remote steer/throttle. Gonna make use of this.

Do you happen to know if they make mercury conversion ends for regular 3300 33c remote cables? I have a setup and am not trying to drop a bunch of $$ for new remote controls.

Back