Logo

Removal of Lower Drive

mkgbobk

Please offer some assistance.

I beleive my lower drive has ceased up and I am attempting to remove it to repair/rebuild. I have all the necessary bolts removed but can not figure out how to free up the crome shaft that is in between the motor and the lower unit. I beleive it is either a drive shaft or shifting shaft. It is very hard to view and/or get tools under the motor and so I can not see how this shaft is connected.

Can you help? A picture would be helpful.

I belive the outboard is a 1984 70 hp Evinrude.

Bob

If the shaft you are talking about is 1/4", it is the shift shaft. The linkage is connected under the lower carb
Do you have a manual on your motor, if not you should get the OEM manual, it will save you a lot of frustration.

If the shaft you are talking about is 1/4", it is the shift shaft. The linkage is connected under the lower carb
Do you have a manual on your motor, if not you should get the OEM manual, it will save you a lot of frustration.

The shaft is about 1" in diameter between motor and lower unit? It is the only thing keeping the two from coming apart. Do not have a manual.

The shaft you're talking about is the drive shaft. How far does the lower unit drop down? If you've disconnected the shift shaft and have all the screws out (including the one under the trim tab) it should drop down. If not, it's possible the drive shaft is frozen to the powerhead. That can be very difficult to get loose.

Did you remove the bolt under the trim tab? With all the bolts out and the shift shaft disconnected, about the only thing that can hold the lower unit up is if the driveshaft is seized into the powerhead.
If I remember there are 6 bolts holding the lower unit on, don't have a manual in front of me, could be off on the number of bolts.

It drops down about 1 1/2" to 2", so I am sure I have all the bolts removed. The shaft must be seized.

Thank you all for the help. Please let me know if you have any more suggestions.

If it drops down that far the driveshaft ISN'T seized. The shift shaft must still be connected. With the lower unit dropped as far as it will go, try shifting the engine and see if the lower unit moves up/down. If it does, the shift shaft is still connected.

It is free, it was the shift shaft. Thanks to all for your help.

Anyone have a lower drive for sale that fits a 1984 70 HP Evinrude?

Get that manual, if nothing else you may see if you can do it yourself, or maybe you should send it out.
The larger lower units (40Hp and up) seem to be in good supply.
I am trying to find a 6HP 1989. Those are few and far between.
I doubt that 77 will fit.
I don't think the V4's were swapable with 3 cyl. units. Even if it were the years are pretty far apart.

http://epc.brp.com

This website is highly valuable.

Back