Logo

remote shifter not pushing/pulling as far as it should?

gene_d

Regular Contributor
93 115 2 stroke. Been having shift problems. Looking at the shift cam and shifting with the slide on side of merc, everything seems to line up.
Slide Whole way back cam is right on high point. Whole way forward cam lines up with lower flat on cam.
With the Quicksilver control hooked up, The slide does not go far enough for rev and forward. Seems like the total throw is short.
I pulled control apart. The point where the shift cable attaches is on an extension strap already? Is any of this a normal?

Doubt it is normal.----Time to start over.------Remove lower unit.----Reattach cable properly in control box.----Put lower unit in neutral.----Put slide on side of block in middle of travel .----Re-assemble.----If you are confused the visit your local boat shop.----Correct this before expensive repairs are needed.

In forward gear the prop can be turned by hand.----Clicks when turned one way and locks turning the other way.----Normal.

It does all that. If I pull prop shaft out and look at cam... there are 3 steps ( high is Rev-middle is neutral-low is fwd). If I slide shifter slide without cable hooked up the 3 steps look to align exactly on center of hole. The slide moves 1 inch each way from neutral. If I hook up remote cable and shift with that the rev and fwd steps don't quite get to where they line up. The slide only moves 3/4 inch. How far should a shifter push/pull the cable?

Back