Logo

Remanufactured or new Repower

Willetts

Had my 225 looper motor lose a cir-clip and cause the wrist pin to wiggle free and bend a rod. These are almost 25 year old.
I'm sure that powerhead has been replaced before. I can get another powerhead for about 4K ( i will install it) OR do I repower with a new motor rigged fro about 20-25 K.
I could replace a power head every other year for the next 10 years and still not hit 20-25 K just tired of working on them.
Seems to be always something. Whether its a Timer base or Stator, carbs leaking mounting bolts snapping etc etc etc.
But darn those new motors are expensive peace of mind vs wallet?

What would you do?

If you have the $$, you want the features/warranty/etc of a newer technology outboard, and you're going to keep the boat for a long then it can make sense to repower with something new. You also have to put a value on your time. If the issues are frequent with the engine and you find you're constantly fixing something and you can't use the boat because of constant down time, then it may be time to think new.

If I had my druthers I would re-power my Ranger 461 with an Etec 175 for a few reasons:

1) Fuel economy.
The new engines are just simply much better than my old carb'd engine.
2) AGE.
EVERYTHING is 23 years old ('96 model)
3) Environmental.
The decreased oil consumption and emissions is a big plus for me.
4) Performance.
The Intruder 150 does fine, but I like the idea of going up to the max HP for my hull. Also, the torque on the newer engines is much better than my old beast.

Now the reality..... I don't have an extra $15K+ to drop on a new outboard. So, if at some point my Intruder tanks I'll most likely install a reman powerhead and move on. If the OEM powerhead made it 23+ years, then a good quality reman should last a long time too.....assuming I find the root cause of the failure and correct it.

If you have the $$, you want the features/warranty/etc of a newer technology outboard, and you're going to keep the boat for a long then it can make sense to repower with something new. You also have to put a value on your time. If the issues are frequent with the engine and you find you're constantly fixing something and you can't use the boat because of constant down time, then it may be time to think new.

If I had my druthers I would re-power my Ranger 461 with an Etec 175 for a few reasons:

1) Fuel economy.
The new engines are just simply much better than my old carb'd engine.
2) AGE.
EVERYTHING is 23 years old ('96 model)
3) Environmental.
The decreased oil consumption and emissions is a big plus for me.
4) Performance.
The Intruder 150 does fine, but I like the idea of going up to the max HP for my hull. Also, the torque on the newer engines is much better than my old beast.

Now the reality..... I don't have an extra $15K+ to drop on a new outboard. So, if at some point my Intruder tanks I'll most likely install a reman powerhead and move on. If the OEM powerhead made it 23+ years, then a good quality reman should last a long time too.....assuming I find the root cause of the failure and correct it.

Absolutely this is right. Nothing more to say.

I would never buy a new motor based on fuel mileage. Just because the new price of an outboard will NEVER pay itself off in fuel mileage. Unless gas gets to like $10 a gallon then it might. You also have to pay for Maintenance fir the warranty requirements . Oil costs more, Everything costs more. The motor you have is cheap to fix and the money you save from not buying a new motor. Well that will probably pay the fuel bill for your motor and truck.

Fuel savings will never offset the price of a newer engine.....plus it locks you into a dealer as the newer G2 engines are not DIY engines.

I agree with all of your posts. I know in my head I'll replace the powerhead. I was just dreaming..And actually it would be double since I have a pair of loopers on the boat..50-55 K to refit a 95 boat,,uhh dont think so.

I would never buy a new motor based on fuel mileage. Just because the new price of an outboard will NEVER pay itself off in fuel mileage.
I didn't really mean to imply the improved fuel economy justifies the cost of a new OB. You're right that you'll never recover the cost of the OB on fuel savings alone. I didn't mean that fuel was the #1 reason, I just listed it first in a string of reason to rationalize the purchase.

Back