Logo

reinstalling 30 hp lower unit, doing something wrong

emac

Regular Contributor
86 EVINRUDE 30 HP J30ECDM dropped the lower unit without a problem to do water pump. everything seem to go smooth until the install, couldn't get the shift rod through the hole, gasket is tight, but.. My thought is maybe i put the plate on upside down, gonna take apart again in the am, didnt want to over force it, but I was pushing pretty hard, I can fit a screwdriver thats slightly smaller than the shift rod through without a problem, but it seems to catch on the plate when i try to put it back on. Again, dont want to force it. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thank you.

have the one for the 200, ...lol, doesnt help. Been doing this a while, smallest engine I've ever owned, thought this would be a breeze. Anyways, ya, in the am where theres light and no mosquitos.

yep, plate upside down, should have realized when one of the bolts didnt match up right, but its a 35 year old engine, somethings bolts dont fit perfect. If I wasnt so stubborn, insisting to myself that i did it right the first time, there would have been a lot less cursing last night. HAHA.

Back