Logo

Ready to order my 1409 edelbrock carb cru 454

.."Their decision was base

.."Their decision was based on economics - warehouse full of mechanical pumps and blocks that won't accept them. Adding a cam to the water pump and mod'ing the housing provided a solution."

Better for who! These are the same geniuses that created that alternator in the damper pulley insanity on their old 4 cylinders Mercruisers. 'Member them?

Jeff

"I didn't say it was bette

"I didn't say it was better, let alone for who.

I changed many of those "integrated alternators" and don't think I ever associated "better" with them.

Like most "makers of things", they do some pretty cool things and a few really stupid ones."

"Jeff I debated over electric

"Jeff I debated over electric vs. mechanical fuel pumps for my built. I wanted a reliable pump and not have to worry about electrics failing 65 miles up river where no one ventures until summer. Did I make a mistake with this set up?

Mark I will read up on the coil hook up since I have a one wire alternator. This just might work for me.

Al being on a fresh water Lake/river and a very dry environment my crusaders in the houseboat stay very clean. The sleekraft will be stored in my garage where I can stare at it and polish it when needed

The Sleekcraft has been undergoing fiberglass work for the last six months. Here is a sneak preview.

288036.jpg

288037.jpg

288038.jpg

288039.jpg
"

"EJ - I dug thru my old but fa

"EJ - I dug thru my old but fairly complete reference shelf in the library. Both Holley and Edelbrock state avoid using the ignition coil to supply the electric choke. I checked the on-line Crusader manuals and they route the choke lead right off the ignition feed on the engine. If the coil requires a ballast resistor, the choke tap on on the ign switch side of the resistor. Holley explicitly states hooking up to the coil can cause erractic choke operation due to 'less than 12V being present'.....I'd say try it. worse case scenario, you can always add a relay, on the engine, activated by the ignition lead. Just make sure its a sealed relay."

Mark running a relay would be

Mark running a relay would be okay also. With a possibility of less than 12v at the ignition what should the relay's coil be rated at? Should it have a operating range like 6-12VDC? Is their a MFG number for this? Thanks.

"You do nice work!

Mechan

"You do nice work!

Mechanical or electrical fuel pumps? Six of one, a half dozen of the other. A NEW electric pump should be reliable for years, where mechanical pumps last for decades. Of course, there's alway that random failure....

Jeff"

"if you can find a 6-12V rated

"if you can find a 6-12V rated coil, that should cover it. Holley's article had figures like 7-9V - I'm sure it is application dependent.

I'd get a sealed relay - Blue Seas may make one or you could probably find a Potter & Brumfield military grade one at an electronics surplus store.

My dated experience with relays is that their coil voltage is nominal and they will work over a fairly wide range. I wouldn't worry about any drop outs during cranking as they don't last long enough to be relevant.

Judging by the pictures, the 502 has been running...next time you fire it up, you could measure the voltage or try a direct connect to the purple lead and if it works, no relay required."

"Just for the record. My chok

"Just for the record. My chokes are zip tied open as I had no readily available 12V source down below...that was 2 years ago...! While it might be nice...I have never really needed them.

Ej, what kind of paint are you using over the fiberglass. My glass work is done and I need to paint it now but basically just white or close to it"

"Al the sleekcraft is gel. Ev

"Al the sleekcraft is gel. Everywhere it is taped and papered off it will get white gel. A small silver metal flake line gets placed between the white and red. Then everything gets colored sanded. On the houseboat that is painted with a good automotive white paint. It is holding up well so far.

288232.jpg
"

"The painting wasn't that

"The painting wasn't that bad. The railing took a month to build. I made friends with a canvas guy and he let me use his benders in his shop for over a month. Every night after work I would spend three hours bending pipe. My wife thought I had a girlfriend
Actually the a girlfriend would have been less work!

288289.jpg

288290.jpg
"

"Dave,
I just received my Ede

"Dave,
I just received my Edelbrock 1409 carb. and looking at the pictures on this thread I will like to know if you remember the parts # for the fuel line hook-up on the carb. also where can I find these parts. I look at the single fuel chrome line EDE 8126 but not sure if its good for marine use on salt water. I will like to do it like yours. Got the Edel. 2697 kit adapter for GM Q-jets , but the fittings do not fit the carb inlet. Your help will be appreciated.

Henry G."

"Henry:

If you want to get

"Henry:

If you want to get the whole collection at once, I'd think you would also need:

* (1) 1/4" NPT male to -6 AN male adapter
* (2) 90 deg -6 AN hose ends
* appropriate length of A-1 rated hose compatable with the hose ends. (3' should be plenty.)

((QTY) shown for single engine)

I'll defer to Dave as he has done this but I think you will find the 'push on' style hose ends the easiest to work with. Also, the braided line is nice but not necessary; the A-1 rating is much more critical. The A-1 rating will keep your insurance company happy and will ensure the hose selected is fuel compatible."

"What is being used for the sh

"What is being used for the sheath over the purple power lead on your choke wire, Dave? What is it made of?"

"Well actually, the expanded b

"Well actually, the expanded braid is the covering I was looking for. I have a few wire harnesses I am making that would greatly benefit from this material rather than a zip tie every few feet. It looks clean and makes for a sanitary installation for the new helm wiring.

The metal is pretty but I am sure it will not hold up to the salt and I am not paying a fortune for a stainless variety.

GEEZ...I went to that web site and the flame retardant variety is about $170.oo for a roll. I am sure I don't need a roll but it ain't cheap."

"airframe and powerplant. BUT

"airframe and powerplant. BUT, I just got mine either at Newark or Digikey. Maybe even the auto parts store. Nothing exotic. It's not particularly heat proof, when exposed to a little exhaust leak, it will melt. There is some flex fiberglass or silicon sleeving that is good for many hundreds of degrees."

"Dave, That must be the one t

"Dave, That must be the one that has this high cost. I have a Newark catalog, I 'll check it out. I could use the 1" one. Airframe and powerplant...hmmm, I should ask my friend who works at Lakehurst Naval Air Station.

I heard last week a fireman on the scene in the 1930's had recovered several bottles of Lowenbrau beer from the Hindenburg. After nearly 70 years, he had given some away to friends but had just sold one bottle for over $8000.00"

"It will be there; question is

"It will be there; question is does the friend have access to it.

I suggested A&P as the FAA (& the DOD) is very strict about combustibles, smoke generation, and toxic fumes when it comes to wiring. I've dealt with some those rules when installing "COTS" equipment - good rules, for good reasons, but they need to be applied with a sanity check."

I am not sure if he has access

I am not sure if he has access. He is in the machine shop where they test those blast gates. That thing that pops up on the aircraft carrier when the jets are about to take off. I used to teach the motorcycle safety classes on that base about 2500 feet from the Hindenburg memorial and crash site. I will certainly ask...

Back