Logo

Re- Power Electrical Hook Main Plug

Ray M

Hi,
I am re-powering my 1983 Sea Ray weekender, it has a merc 260, alpha 1(gen1). I am putting in a 1998 FW, 5.7 Alpha 1 gen1 (2bbl)"take out". I have everything from the boat that the engine came from, wire harness, trim pump, steering, instrument panel. throtle/shifter cables... I am swaping over the gimble housing now, but l have looked over the 2 different wiring diagrams and I'm not sure if it will work if I just plug in the main plug on the engine. "Most" of the wires seem to go to the right places (some not exactly) but they are different colors. The new engine has a knock sensor and an electric fuel pump, cant see where that will be powered. I have done an engine change before but they were the same engines so the plugs worked, I'm not sure what I need to do here. Nothing in the manual, nothing on-line. Anyone know, or deal with this before? I don't want to fry anything so I appreciate your imput.
Thanks,
Ray​

Yes, it has the " main" Mercruiser 10 pin plug, but back in 83 they didn't have the other components (electric fuel pum, knock sensor..) and I'm not sure if it is compatable. I wanted to know for sure before I fry anything, if thats all I needed to do.

First off you are going FROM a Alpha I gen I to a Alpha I gen II.

The answer is you can not simply connect the old to the new wiring harness due to as you said different electrical configurations. I would not even try!!! I would reccommed getting the correct wiring harnesses and eliminate any issues.

If you try to make it work, you and only you will know how it works and that is not a good thing!!

First off you are going FROM a Alpha I gen I to a Alpha I gen II.

The answer is you can not simply connect the old to the new wiring harness due to as you said different electrical configurations. I would not even try!!! I would reccommed getting the correct wiring harnesses and eliminate any issues.

If you try to make it work, you and only you will know how it works and that is not a good thing!!

This is not a newer Smart Craft setup. It seams to have the same connector as the first gen alpha. So it will be plug and play.

The 2 answers are conflicting. I have the harnes from the boat that the engine came from, but that would be hours of work to swap the harness and it was a smaller boat so the wires would need to be extended. I guess I could if I had to but it would some work. I also would like to do it the right way.

Thank you, I have this diagram. Are you saying it will just be plug and play because the rest is through the modual?
Thanks for the reply

The engine is controlled by the module. The harness to the helm puts power to the key switch and the gauges, and gives signals to the gauges for readings.

YES! it is plug and play.

Back