Logo

Re-painting painted aluminum boat

The Aerofish

I have a 1976 Starcraft 18' I am completely restoring. I have a plan for the top surface of the bow,transom, and gunwales, but was wondering what are my options as far as painting over the original paint job? Can I run a fine grit over the existing paintjob and paint from there? If so, what are my options for paint? Also, I watched a Youtube video of a bondo-like filler a guy ussed to fill scuffs along the original paint job. I am not sure what was used or if it was even a proper applicaiton. I do not want to repaint the entire hull, just this portion:
IMG_7465.jpeg

Ayuh,..... I suggest you skip the bondo filling the dings, 'n just scuff up the existing paint, then repaint it,....

For paint, you can go cheap, 'n use Rustoleum, 'n hardener, or sped bigger money, 'n shoot ot with automotive paint,....
I've had great luck with martin senoir their Prizem line,...

Ayuh,..... I suggest you skip the bondo filling the dings, 'n just scuff up the existing paint, then repaint it,....

For paint, you can go cheap, 'n use Rustoleum, 'n hardener, or sped bigger money, 'n shoot ot with automotive paint,....
I've had great luck with martin senoir their Prizem line,...
Thanks for the feedback! Rattle can sounds like a plan for me.

The "add hardener to the can and spray" approach will yield a much more durable finish than the rattle can by itself...if you don't have a sprayer, a good brush will work...its the hardener that improves the durability...

Back