Logo

RE Control Box 1972 65HP Johnson

brent

well I took the shift assembl

well I took the shift assembly apart and at the bottom front corner there is a black plastic piece with a lever in it that the shifter moves back and forth depending on whether your in reverse or forward or nuteral. I assume that its supposed to be spring loaded. I put it back into the neutral position and it fired right up. is that a part that I can buy?? and if not what does it actuall do?

" Hard to tell from just a tex

" Hard to tell from just a text description, (got pictures?) but if it's not hooked up to a control cable, it sounds like a shift detent. It's there to give you a nice satisfying click action when you change from reverse to neutral to forward. "

Brent
It sounds like your ta

Brent
It sounds like your talking about the shift switch. It should be available from your local johnson dealer if not joe reeves from this forum may have one.

"No, I don't have that ite

"No, I don't have that item. If it has three (3) wires.... Purple, Green, and Blue, it's a shift switch only.

If it has five (5) wires.... Purple, Green, Blue, and two (2) White, it's a shift switch, coupled with a neutral safety circuit, meaning that when it's in gear the starter solenoid will not engage when turning the key to the start position.

Joe
"

" I picked one up today from a

" I picked one up today from a huge scrap yard that rebuilds motors and sells parts. The guy had tons of motors and parts. My old one is a 5 wire that Joe talked about. The one he had was a 3 wire. He too told me about the white wires and told me to just tie those 2 white wires together that that would do the same thing. New the part is $100 and he sold it to me for $50. He also tested the part with a meter while I was there and told me that if it didnt work that I could bring it back. AND Joe, was that guy right about the 2 white wires?? "

"Brent..... Yes but keep in mi

"Brent..... Yes but keep in mind (as I mentioned above) that those two wires put into effect a neutral safety circuit, that is when connected properly it would be impossible to start the engine if it was in gear.

With them joined together (make sure they're insulated), it is now possible to engage the electric starter in gear, and at various throttle settings."

Back