Logo

ran out of gas

jerry101

Contributing Member
i have a 1976 evinrude 6 hsp outboard motor last time i had it out it stopped running after using about 1 gallon of gas,(which still had about two and a half gallons of fuel left,fresh fuel and outboard oil added to tank ,on the way to lake) i couldn't start it,i tilted the tank so the gas would be closest to the gas opening and it started right up,can anyone here tell me what the problem could be,i checked the opening part for the breather port on the gas tank, and that was fine,could this be a fuel pump problem or what?...thanks for your help

If all you did was to tilt the fuel tank and the engine ran as it should, the fuel pump would obviously be pumping fuel.

The usual cause of a problem like this is that the intake line leading down to the bottom of the fuel tank is broken off, rusted away somewhat, something of that nature. This can be proved by filling the fuel tank again.... if the engine runs okay for another one gallon run as before, the tank is faulty.

Let us know what you find.

If all you did was to tilt the fuel tank and the engine ran as it should, the fuel pump would obviously be pumping fuel.

The usual cause of a problem like this is that the intake line leading down to the bottom of the fuel tank is broken off, rusted away somewhat, something of that nature. This can be proved by filling the fuel tank again.... if the engine runs okay for another one gallon run as before, the tank is faulty.

Let us know what you find.
i unscrewed the intake line leading down to the bottom of the fuel tank and found that the filter on the bottom, had a big hole in it and was cracked,is this the problem ?

just forgot to mention,do you know of anywhere i can get a replacement for this gas tank,or does that mean this tank is shot...thanks again

If the tank is either plastic or metal (make no difference) and the fuel supply line tube simply screws into it, you should be able to pick up a replacement screw in supply tube at a dealership, possibly Wal*Mart, other marine stores, etc.

However if the fuel tank is full when you start out and the engine runs great until it burns approximately one gallon of gasoline.... the hole at the bottom of the fuel pick up line wouldn't be the problem... there should be a hole in that pipe right at the gas level when the engine stopped running, causing the fuel pump to draw air instead of fuel.

If the tank is either plastic or metal (make no difference) and the fuel supply line tube simply screws into it, you should be able to pick up a replacement screw in supply tube at a dealership, possibly Wal*Mart, other marine stores, etc.

However if the fuel tank is full when you start out and the engine runs great until it burns approximately one gallon of gasoline.... the hole at the bottom of the fuel pick up line wouldn't be the problem... there should be a hole in that pipe right at the gas level when the engine stopped running, causing the fuel pump to draw air instead of fuel.

thanks for the reply ,i'll check that and let you know....

If your engine will start and run normally on that same fuel tank but stop again after burning just one gallon of fuel, there has got to be a air leak at that fuel level in the supply tube UNLESS burning one gallon of fuel is just a coincidenece and your engine is stopping due to some other reason.

Borrow a friends fuel tank (and fuel hose) for one outing. If the engine still shuts down after using approximately one gallon of fuel, your tank assy is not the problem. However, If the engine runs good and stays running on your friends fuel tank, then you know that your tank, pick up tube, or hose, is creating a problem.

If your engine will start and run normally on that same fuel tank but stop again after burning just one gallon of fuel, there has got to be a air leak at that fuel level in the supply tube UNLESS burning one gallon of fuel is just a coincidenece and your engine is stopping due to some other reason.

Borrow a friends fuel tank (and fuel hose) for one outing. If the engine still shuts down after using approximately one gallon of fuel, your tank assy is not the problem. However, If the engine runs good and stays running on your friends fuel tank, then you know that your tank, pick up tube, or hose, is creating a problem.
i will try that and see what happens.....thanks for all your help as usual.

Back