Logo

Raising/Lowering Motor Under Power

PeterInSa

Over the weekend in South Australia out in our 1/2 Cabin Boat, I noticed my 250Hrs 4 stroke 50HP Mercury outboard, does not like raising/lowering the outboard for getting on the Plane quicker, when on 1/2 power, slow down or stop and works well.

To me the raising/lowering is 12v electric,, motor is charging the 800 cranking Amp battery that is fully charged.

I have yet to check the Hydraulic oil level, but how is this affected by the engine revs?

Thanks

Peter

The pump as you said is electrically driven. Other than pulling amps out of the battery that are replaced by the engine's alternator (although at a much slower pace) it has nothing to do with engine RPMs as would be the case if the pump were driven off the drive shaft as is done with the water pump.

At 250 hours you shouldn't be expecting any pump problems. One would assume that the pump reservoir was filled adequately at the time of original assembly. The fill port is a nylon screw on the starboard side of the piston/reservoir assy on 2 strokers...no idea on 4 as I never had one. Full is with the pump level, oil level is just ready to run out of the fill hole...even with the top of the threads. Once that is checked, at home, and the plug is returned and seated, raise and lower the engine all the way up and down several times to bleed out any trapped air. Return the pump to the vertical position and check the fluid level again. If you had any air present, which is the culprit for causing the problem you mentioned the oil level will be lower than it was after filling.....air compresses and when you run up the engine RPMs it compresses....the more the air the earlier it quits raising the engine as it should.

If you found no air, then I would expect a sticking/defective valve or seal problem inside the unit.

Back