Logo

Questions re Gray Marine 225

dkbllb

"I posted these questions on a

"I posted these questions on another site and then realized that probably the Gray Marine experts "lived" at this one.

I'm looking at a V8-225 (the 327ci) engine to possibly put in my 26' inboard that I'm building. It's the original engine in a 26', 1962 Tollycraft and the owner states that
he had it totally rebuilt within the last 25 hours. He says it was torn down to the last nut and bolt with mostly new guts. He had the
work done because it had one burnt piston (the cylinder was sleeved during the rebuild).

I went and took a look at the boat today. I've posted some photos of the engine at www.tinyurl.com/9v5rm. Just click on the Gray Marine album but you may have to tell it to play the slideshow to view the pics. I don't know why, but Imagestation has been acting up lately. The whole site is being very cantankerous and you may have to cut and past the address to get it to go.

The seller is down to $4,400 but I have no idea if this is a good deal, or not. There is very little other hardware on the hull that
is salvageable except for the engine, guages, tranny (a velvet drive, I think), exhaust and
rudder hardware. We didn't take it for a ride, but the engine started easily and purred. He doesn't know anything about the tranny except that he hasn't had any trouble with it. Is this a reasonable price??? Incidently, a brand new 350 and tranny delivered to the house would be around $11k.

If I were to buy it, I'd have a closed cooling system made for it. An outfit in Florida quoted $1,200 for a custom system made for the engine (so far I haven't found any ready made kits). I'd also install electronic ignition and go ahead and tear down the transmission just to check it before everything goes back together.

I'm a little concerned about the exhaust risers (they're also new) but perhaps some of you could shed some light on it. The raw water being sent out the exhaust enters at the bottom of the risers just aft of the manifolds. There's a picture that shows what I'm talking about. When I zoom in on the riser where the cooling exhaust water enters the side of the riser, I see that there is some type of protrusion on the other side of the pipe. Apparently there's something else inside there. Is it a valve? I don't know how else you'd do it since the riser needs to be
cooled, but what keeps some of that moisture from being sucked back into the engine when it's shut off (unless it's this mystery valve)? Is this normal?

Any and all comments would be appreciated. If I have to spend $11k then I will, but I'd really like to help my budget out. Having said that, my primary objective with whatever engine I end up with would be reliability. I don't want to be 30 miles off shore tuna fishing, or be coming back across the bar, and have engine trouble.

Dave B"

"Dave, I just rebuilt the same

"Dave, I just rebuilt the same engine for my 18' Sabre last winter. The little "protrusions" on the back of the manifolds are check valves. They are neopreme(?) balls spring loaded. If he had the engine rebuilt they were surly checked and cleaned. The engine I rebuilt had just under 400 hours on it and there was just a slight bit of rust on the valves which I suspect were from the engine not being run for several years. this link will show you the engine that I serviced and the help I received from this site and others.
http://www.marineengine.com/discus/messages/12512/13970.shtml
If you need any parts there is a business that took over all of the gray marine inventory and is in ST Charles IL. I don't know if they have a site up yet but if you need I can give you an adress (emai) and a phone number.
Cal"

"Cal,
Thanks for the info. I

"Cal,
Thanks for the info. I had seen the thread showing your rebuild and your engine looks great!
After a lot of consideration, others have convinced me to pass on this particular engine. It had been run in salt and I don't know what the blocks internal passages might look like, and the owner had a tendancy to "exagerate" that made me nervous. I'm just going to have to keep looking.
Dave"

Back