Logo

question?

If the engine has a powerpack, it has a stator.... but not necessarily a battery charging type stator.
thanks a lot joe! how would you tell if its a charging type stator? would it have more than 4 wires coming off it and going to the powerpack? j25rcsa
again thanks!

A straight powerpack stator would have just two or three wires leading form it to the powerpack.

A charging stator would (on that 1980 model) have two sets of wiring harnesses leading from it... one going to the powerpack, the other would be a four wire harness leading to a four wire rectifier. This stator would be a solid sealed ring affair under the flywheel.

A straight powerpack stator would have just two or three wires leading form it to the powerpack.

A charging stator would (on that 1980 model) have two sets of wiring harnesses leading from it... one going to the powerpack, the other would be a four wire harness leading to a four wire rectifier. This stator would be a solid sealed ring affair under the flywheel.
I think I understand what ya mean? the rectifier is for lack of a better word kinda like ur alternator on ur car?? heres the thing, my motor had the electric start added when it was about 10yrs old but theres no rectifier or no terminal block but it does have the little bracket with the hole for the rectifier to mount in. now I know this sounds crazy but while the motors running I can watch my voltage increase on my depthfinder...what that is I have no clue but it does put out a couple amps while running. I want to get the rectifier and block for it but if my stators not the right one theres no point.. could you tell if you seen some pics around the bottom of my flywheel what I have? thanks again joe..

The rectifier is a series of diodes that converts AC to DC. The stator puts out alternating current and the rectifier alters the flow of electrons. DC current always flows from negative to posative. A little elect 101
hey ya learn something new every day :) im all for some outboard 101, thanks that's pretty interesting..

Back