Logo

question on seal replacement

found oil leak, if image I posted it is where I am pointing. my question is 1995 evinrude 200hp ocean pro , can I replace seal and rings without removing entire crank cover. the seal and rings are new but did not replace shaft o ring or sleeve. manual said not necessary unless worn. the powerhead gasket looked good.

Attachments

• IMG_20160620_120333.jpg
    IMG_20160620_120333.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 31
You should be able to remove that housing by itself without removing the crankcase cover.-----------Take out the 12 bolts.

That stainless steel sleeve presses over the end of the crank. It is a very difficult task to get off, and you will likely destroy it in the process.
Likewise, pressing the new one on without denting it is a real tough task.

I would just pull the old o-ring out and put a new one in. Leave S.S. sleeve right there.

I know. taking bearing retaining plate and o rings and seal to sunset marine tomorrow. they have parts in stock. got to get in on some of the Bluefin action. looking in my manual for info on a good breakin schedule but can't find. it refers to one in chapter 4 but couldn't find it and chapter 4 is pretty short. what would you suggest?

The seal should be a press fit when you get the new seal clean the seat real good and put a small bead of loctite around the seat and press the new seal in. Be careful not to get any loctite on the ruber seal. Then when you go to install the head oil the seal with engine oil. It wouldnt hurt to let the loctite set up good for 24hrs before you expose the seal to fuel. If the new seal does not seat nice and tight you should get a new head I dont imagine you want to pull the powerhead again any time soon.

The new seals are not press fit. The seal should be brown or tan with extended lip facing down as its 2 seals in 1. Coat the seal edges with aviation gasket sealer and install, then reinstall head and torque to 96-120 in lbs

Back