Logo

Question on New VRO unit - The dealer didn't know what this was so hope someone here does

SeaPair

Quick Version:
Does anyone know if there is a pressure relief valve on the VRO unit? or an air chamber that you plug with a small black disc when installing a new one?
Or anything about what this hole is for?

Photo attached.

Longer Version:
I am working on my Johnson 120 and trying to rule out possibilities of the engine surge / erratic idle...one of them has to do with the VRO unit.

I have already spent about 4 hours searching this all over off and on with no luck :(

When I went to prime my fairly newer VRO (bought within past two seasons) I didn't know my squeeze bulb was bad and I was really trying to prime it..noticed there was a small bit of oil / gas coming out from under a circular disc on the top of the unit after I was done. Watched and when I prime it hard it comes out each time.

Couldn't find anything on it...online.

Finally went to the dealer and he brought out a brand new one...lo and behold there was a HOLE right where I have circled in the photo..so this must be some sort of pressure relief valve or something right? It looked as though the box contained the cap / disc to cover that hole but he actually didn't know and was too busy to dig through all the tiny parts.

I am wondering if this is normal to have a bit of gas come out there or if this could be a possible air leak?

Photo is attached.

Thank you.

vro-top.jpg

p.s. When I get back next week I will be trying to do a pressure test but still want to know what this hole is for.

They do not have a vent on them. That would vent the fuel and or the fuel vapor directly in the engine compartment. That is a big no no and would be a huge liability to any manufacturer.

Take it back to A shop and ask them to do a pressure and vacuum test on it. If it passes then no fuel is venting from that hole. I would ensure that it is pumping oil with no problem then. I have never put that cover over a hole in the VRO and I have replaced dozens of them. The kit contains no sort of cover as that.

I have never put that cover over a hole in the VRO and I have replaced dozens of them. The kit contains no sort of cover as that.

So there is supposed to just be an open hole where I have circled in the photo?
I am a little confused I guess since I know there is a hole there when bought new...but what is it for?

Thank you.

Dano...
No I have not figured it out yet.

I just got back into town last night from a road trip so haven't been looking into it for almost a week..but will be picking up where I left off now.
If you figure it out please let me know as well...I would appreciate it.
Thanks.

Well I got home a couple days ago and just today went out and messed with the motor again...primed the gas bulb and gas would not stop coming out of this hole / cover / whatever it is...I put very little pressure on it and it popped off. Now I see some small metal post in there.
I really wish I knew what this is etc. as I can not go any further with troubleshooting this motor now..and this could be the cause of it all for all I know.

I am usually good at figuring stuff out with the Internet but this has got me stumped..the dealer doesn't know either and would just replace the whole unit. That is not an option for me. Maybe I should superglue it back on?...lol

Must be a VRO person around here somewhere.

Myself I would never buy a new VRO !------They are simple to repair and the repair kit is cheap.

Does that mean you know what this is?

I wasn't planning on buying a new one and the kits I have seen have nothing to do with the peice I am trying to figure out.

Here is what it NOW looks like..and gas / oil is coming out in a steady flow.
Not sure how to proceed since I don;t know what this hole is for.

Anyone?vro-cap-off.jpg

The pin you see is part of the " no oil " warning circuit.---------As posted earlier there should be no leakage there , none whatsoever.

The pin you see is part of the " no oil " warning circuit.---------As posted earlier there should be no leakage there , none whatsoever.

So there must be a bad seal then somewhere...any idea if this is repairable, like an o'ring dried up perhaps? Being this unit is just over a year or so old and had sat for several months.

But what about the cap? Is if fine to have the pin exposed like that? Is the cap just something that is on some of the units or something? That was what really threw me off since the new one I saw had no cap and you could see the pin.

Thank you...at least now I know it shouldn't be leaking...just have no idea how to fix it on my lack of budget yet.

Back