Logo

Question on engine steam

luckycharms

I pulled the oil cap on the to

I pulled the oil cap on the top of the valve cover and it was pewing out a steady sream of what looks like steam. It smells like burnt oil. Also pulled dip stick and valve cover tubes that go to the sides of the flame arrestor and steam or burnt air was ejecting out of these holes as well. Any idea what causes this or is it a bigger problem that is going on inside the motor. Please any info would be great. Its a 88 Imperial W/350 chevy motor with a 290 out drive duoprop Thanks Mark

"I'm thinking a blown head

"I'm thinking a blown head gasket.

Is it fresh water cooled with a heat exchanger? How long has it been running before these symptoms, weeks or months? What was the engine temperature just prior and what type operation were you involved in when you noticed a problem? Does you oil quantity seem to have risen on the dip stick? Is the oil a milky colour or is it clear? Has the water level in the heat exchanger reservoir gone down or has it gotten dirty?

Search this site for 'head gasket' and you will fined lots of information on symptoms and fixes."

"I had this exact same problem

"I had this exact same problem on my 5.7, turned out it was the head gasket('s). Steam can sometimes appear if the engine has been stood for a fair while, if this is the case it should burn off and stop on one warmup."

Back