Logo

Question Of Johnson 6hp Tilt Lock

joereeves

Gold Medal Contributor
The topic of "Johnson 6hp

The topic of "Johnson 6hp Tilt Lock" either below or above is one that I cannot gain entrance to for some reason.

Has anyone else encountered this problem?

No

Question is :

[i]I h

No

Question is :

I have a 1979 model with no system to keep it in the tilted up position - is there a bracket/clip that I am missing or do I have to keep jamming a piece of 2x4 lumber in it?

Reply from jacksoldoutboards reads

I do not think there is such a thing. The transom pivot bolt(9/16" wrench required)is tightened to enhance the drag of the motor to the transom mount.. It should be adjusted where the motor will stay in the position selected but will drop with a light downward force. Adjusted properly - the motor will stay where you put it

I have a 1978 6 hp evinrude &a

I have a 1978 6 hp evinrude & I have not been able to find a tilt lock on it either. I am using a piece of 2" PVC to hold it up & have the PVC attached to the boat with a small cable because it is always falling out when I trailer over a bump.
It will lock in the run position but that is it.

"Yes Ive looked into it before

"Yes Ive looked into it before. I think it may not have been until about 1983 that the tilt lock was fitted. Fitted to my '84 model anyway, (But can't tilt the motor on the boat to use it!)"

No

Question is :

[i]I h

No

Question is :

I have a 1979 model with no system to keep it in the tilted up position - is there a bracket/clip that I am missing or do I have to keep jamming a piece of 2x4 lumber in it?

Reply from jacksoldoutboards reads

I do not think there is such a thing. The transom pivot bolt(9/16" wrench required)is tightened to enhance the drag of the motor to the transom mount.. It should be adjusted where the motor will stay in the position selected but will drop with a light downward force. Adjusted properly - the motor will stay where you put it
You are right indeed, I did it and put in the position selected adjusting with a 9/16. Thank you so much, best wishes and regards from Argentina!

Back