Logo

Question for Tom about trim gauge on mecury

don

" Tom , i bought a aftermarket

" Tom , i bought a aftermarket(Teleflex) Trim gauge for my 98 merc 200. I hooked it up to the unit and hooked the brown and white wire from sender, but the gauge is not moving vey much. I've rotated the sender on the motor and it moves very little. Is the aftermarket products like Teleflex any good or do you get what you pay for? 20$ for Teleflex 45$ for mercury? Thanks Brent "

Did you buy a TNT gauge that

Did you buy a TNT gauge that was for a Mercury. What was the part # from Teleflex? Possible you have a bad trim sender.

Tom it was for a mercury/ mar

Tom it was for a mercury/ mariner. I played with the sender on the trim unit and it would move the needle in the trim gauge but not much. I'm wondering if there is another wire that needs to be hooked up. The sender has never had a gauge hooked up to it. Brent

" On the trim gauge you should

" On the trim gauge you should have a power wire, usually purple, a ground, black, and the sender wire. Make sure you have a good ground at the gauge and sender. If all that is correct and you still have the same results, my guess it is the sender. You can remove the sender wire at the engine wire harness, and with the key on, ground the wire that goes up to the trim gauge. You should now get full deflection of the gauge. If the gauge gets full deflection then I'd suspect the sender. The sender can be checked with an ohmmeter. Rx1 scale . One lead to ground the other to the sender wire. The needle on the meter should deflect when the trim is operated. "

Back