Logo

question about 9.5 water pick up tube

jd81

hellow to all another first timer here. I have a 65 modle 9.5 johnson that I inhairted from my late grandfather don't where he got it or much about it but it did start fairly easy so i figured the first thing it needed was a water pump. The pump was easy enough but when i pulled the foot the water pick up tube came out with it and I can't seam to find the gromet that it goes in to that I have read about in a couple other threads so any help would be grate thanks

That tube is not supposed to come out on the 9.5 HP---------------Now this is not going to be easy for a proper repair.-------------Power head may have to come off for access to the o-ring / push nut / washer.-----Look at top of this page for parts diagrams for this motor.

I kind of figured that water pump had just goten to be a lot bigger project when I found out that the pick up tube wasn't not suposed to come out to

On occasion, there are times when one can get that tube inserted back where it belongs BUT it does require a great amount of patience, an extreme amount of luck, and a flashlight that can peer into that area like a searchlight (close direct beam).

The grommet is actually a large O Ring and is located on the port side of the powerhead area at about the 10:00 or 10:30 O'clock position. It's important that you do not bend the tube in an attempt to get it in the O Ring.

The alternative, as Racerone states, is to remove the engine's starboard side covering, then remove the powerhead and exhaust housing assembly from the engine's port covering, after which you can then remove the powerhead from the long exhaust housing, and finally get to the area where you can install the water tube properly. Hellava job!

thank you joereeves very much for the location of the hole the pick tube goes in I was able to get it back in i belive. I can feal the tube go fall in a hole and then slip past something I belive thats the oring I was going to pull the thermostat and try to blow threw the tube with an air hose then i broke an ear off the t-stat cover so my victory was short lived once my blood pressure comes back down I'll finish pull the t-stat and see what I ive got. racerone thank you very much for your imput as well this is the first time I've worked on an outboard to this exstent so I'm sure I'll have more questions

i had planed on replacing the t-stat any way and ill look around and find a cover some where. the reason i was going to use air is befor when i started it it started easy but the flot was stuck and was poruing gas out the over flow on the carb pulled the carb and found not only was the float stuck but it was falling apart to so got to do a carb kit to but thats not suprising to me this thing sat in the corner for close to 20 years i think i was 10 or 12 last time we used it so i just happy it started at all and wasnt frozen up

Back