Logo

Ques about rotation

kevincave

"i am almost ready to fire up

"i am almost ready to fire up a boat in which i have not seen run. the firing order on the old air filter cover says reverse firing order. it is a 454 motor. i need to buy a starter. does it have to be reverse spinning? can you tell from the prop if indeed it is reverse order? it has linkage in the outdrive that you can change the position of, to chane rotation. please help this is a little confusing.here is the prop.http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/w192/kfcz400/?action=view&current=091.jpg""

"That is a RH propeller.... yo

"That is a RH propeller.... your vertical rod will connect on the Port side in order to run FWD on the upper "Driven" Gear. Hence...... the prop spinning RH.

Now, you may have a bigger issue here!!!
The Volvo Penta I/O transmission cannot work with a counter rotation engine. The cone clutch is designed to engage as a result of standard rotation only...... it will not "Lock Up" when reverse rotation is put to it.

Are you certain that you have a REV Rotation engine?

The answer to your question re; the starter for a REV Rotation engine is YES..... it must be REV Rotation.

Another issue for me is which transmission you are using behind a BBC?"

" (Ooops, meant to get all

" (Ooops, meant to get all of this in the first post!)

You should be using a C or later large bearing upper unit w/ the steel sliding sleeve..... And no brass split ring keepers if you were to run a LH prop. In my opinion, that is!"

the outdrive is the 290 as we

the outdrive is the 290 as we discussed earlier. this engine/ outdrive is what was used previously in this boat for a number of years. the motor is a gm marine crate motor bought and installed in 1992. the air cover is off of the 1976 oe motor. to me everything looks to me to be regular rotation. i did not check the firing order before removing engine to see which way the firing order was..

Back