Logo

quality control issues with new coils

OzarkMike

Contributing Member
has anyone else had issues with bad coils as of late i know used to you could head down to the marina and buy good stuff that was made in this country nowadays its a crap shoot and very frustrating. I bought a new set of sierra coils online for my 57 sportwin at the beginning of this year after installing em i had very weak spark on one plug none on the other and after a bit of fiddling i put the old ones back on and voila i had good spark again that would jump a 3\8 gap now im thinking about putting new coils on my lark but am gun shy now and not really wanting to spend the money or time on Chinese garbage. the primary was 2.1ohms and the secondary was 6.81k ohms i have never had to use a multimeter on a set of omc coils before so im not sure what they are supposed to be. but those numbers seem like they would be ok to me from what ive seen on other coils that ive had to check out in the past. and to answer before anyone asks yes i had the coils lined up with the edge of the lip that is cast into the mag plate. i know the coils that's on my sportwin have not been replaced since the 70s and they probably could use replacing and the ones on the lark are about to fall apart but they still provide a spark that meets specs for now but eventually ill have to find a suitable replacement cus i don't think they will last much longer as bad as they are not to mention ive got several other old omc motors that may or may not need coils that i haven't got a chance to look at yet i just bought a set of cd-12s for 50 bucks that will have to be gone thru before long and i fear the coils in those will be cracked also cus they look like they haven't been touched in a long time.

Back