Logo

Purging Air From Tilt & Trim Unit

tboltmike

Regular Contributor
I have a 2009 130 ETEC. I can't seem to get all of the air out of the unit. The system uses the environmentally friendly oil.

Oil runs out of the fill plug when it is at full tilt, however, tilt is limited due to interference with the splash well rim.

I run the unit to full tilt crack open the fill plug and usually air comes out along with some oil. I open the manual release and as the engine approaches full lower air can be distinctly heard in the system. I run the tilt motor with the release still open in up and down position. The release is closed and the up button is activated. Often the engine will not raised with the as if the tilt motor is ventilating. It is necessry to push the down button before the up direction will prime. The engine is raised to full tilt and allowed to sit for seveal hours and again air can be heard coming out the fill plug.

I have been fighting this for quite a while. It is like the unit is sucking in air but there are no visible leaks.

Thanks for any input. Mike

Get a new fill plug "O" ring or new plug. Top off the oil and run it up/down several times and repeat: top off and up/down.

Good logic.

The system has a vacuum leak only ? What suprises me is that you never see the leak out of the constant amount of ALL THAT OIL YOU HAVE PUT IN. Really odd unless it is squeezed out during use while the motor is in the water during use. Must be.

Boat on the trailer. Completly DRIED OFF ENGINE. Cycle the tilt FULLY UP & DOWN untill a weeping shows................CAUTION..........DO NOT CYCLE more than 5 times every 15 minutes..........That tilt motor is ....NOT....made for lots of non stop cycling. It MUST be allowed to cool down between bunches of cycles. Feel the motor for getting too warm. No sense burning out the motor.

Thanks, Guy and Cy,

I had gotten a new O-ring. The original was all chewed up. I don't think the plug is leaking.

In the water the unit tilts just fine.

It is when I'm getting the boat ready to go out and tilting the motor up to install the engine foot support is when the tilt pump acts like it has lost prime. The unit does not seem to be loosing oil as some always drizzles oil when the plug is opened.

Is there anyway air can be ingested around the piston rod seal?

I've been considering putting a vacuum pump to evauate the air and see if the unit holds tight.

CAUTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The vacum pump CAN PULL & RUIN any seals...................... Look for more loose & worn out parts

Do you ever find water in the oil ? If yes. It can start corrosion or a hairline crack when frozen during a freezing spell.

CAUTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The vacum pump CAN PULL & RUIN any seals...................... Look for more loose & worn out parts

Do you ever find water in the oil ? If yes. It can start corrosion or a hairline crack when frozen during a freezing spell.

Yes a cylinder can have a seal that pulls in water when in the water or air if cycled in the air....Very possible.

If that has been going on for a while. The whole pump & hydraulics need to be pulled apart to find any rust / corrosion pockets forming in the low spots.

Do not be suprised if you find corrosion.

Fresh or salt water use ?

Back