Logo

Pump vs pump

concritter

Regular Contributor
"91 454's-330 H.P....Here&

"91 454's-330 H.P....Here's what happened.On Sunday I noticed my usual temps of 170-175 were ok at first until a few minutes after underway that I noticed port engine went to 180 as I watch temps and oil gauges like a hawk.Then noticed a climb to 210 when I arrived 5 minutes later at anchoring destination.Took sherwood 35 pump off and apart.Found woodriff key was rounded on end,and actually cracked the inner piece of new impellar when it tried to come out.As I carry a spare water pump ready to go with fittings all was well I thought.Thing is that the new pump is a Jabsco replacement and on the way back that engine now is showing 155 temp and both engines started the year with new 160 degree thermostats.Could it be that the newer Jabsco pumps more water than the older Sherwoods that had new impellars, but also the older pumps themselves could be worn.There is nothing wrong with 170-175 but 155 I would think should be better and no such thing as too much water. By the way,lot less steam showing on the way back in as Crusaders are known for......Todd"

Back