Logo

propshaft not engaged into drivesaft properly??? Mariner 40 2002

hi
Replaced O ring and propshaft seals due to lube leaking out through bearing carrier.
When I pulled the bearing carrier the propshaft came out also.
The cam follower remained in the gearbox so I retrieved it with a long nose pliers and replaced it in the propshaft.
I replaced the two propshaft seals.
During that operation the reverse gear and its bearing (as one unit) fell off the back of the bearing carrier. I just greased it and tapped it gently back on with a socket in the centre of the gear.
I replaced the O ring and put the propshaft into the gearbox,it went in so far and then in another bit with a twist and a further push.
I pushed on the bearing carrier and filled the gearbox with lube.
No leaks.
However if I put it in forward now the shaft rotates clockwise (by hand) with a click for every quarter turn or so. In reverse the shaft can just be turned by hand anticlockwise.
I have not started the motor at all.
The impression I have is that forward gear and the drive shaft are somehow not properly engaged together???
So do I pull it again or is there some little trick that will get it to click??
The manual says that O rings must be replaced each time the carrier is pulled? I suspect that if it looks undamaged it would do fine????
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Seán

You will find that motors like yours will click in FORWARD gear when you turn the propshaft clockwise.---It will lock going counterclockwise.-----------------In reverse it will lock both ways.-------That is all normal !!

You will find that motors like yours will click in FORWARD gear when you turn the propshaft clockwise.---It will lock going counterclockwise.-----------------In reverse it will lock both ways.-------That is all normal !!

you are absolutely right Racerone and I am immensely relieved and grateful!!

Back